• Register Today It's free!

Single click on startup

El

Reaction score
City, State
Newfoundland and Labrador
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer
I have a '91 Ford Explorer and it will not start. I have had the starter motor off and it works, I have replaced the solenoid but still no start. I've inspected the wires and they all seem to be good.

When I turn the key all I get is a single click from the solenoid, fuse box area. All of the fuses seem to be fine as well. Any other ideas on what could be causing my startup trouble?

i would say the battery...i'm not sure what parts stores or services they offer but here, you can take your battery in and within an hour they will fully test it for you for free....if it checks out ok you will have a fully charged battery and then can drive it over to them and they will check you alternator and voltage regulator to see if they are failing and thats why your battery does not have enough starting amps...
this is if all your connections check out...it is not uncommon to have a bad cable that is actually corroded under the jacket where you can't see it...i hope this helps...:D

Thanks for the response. The truck is actually starting now :thumbsup: My father owns the truck and he was trying to see if the motor would turn by having it connected but not attached to the truck, thus no ground on the motor so it wouldn't start.

The actual problem was the brushes were gone, when he changed them he hooked up the motor before attaching it to the motor just to see if it would work before the task of reattaching it, we now know it has to be grounded:confused:

Thanks again.

lol, i guess you can say all your connections check out now....:D

Back