Reaction score
City, State
NW Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer V8 EB
Hey all,

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Explorer V8 (5L) Eddie Bauer

Sit-rep:
  • Went to class this morning, had no problem starting.
  • Went home, no problem.
  • About two hours later go to start the car, a single click. The music, indicators all work. Fiddle around with the ignition and gas pedal and get it to start finally.
  • Start it again after a few hours and get the same issue, but finally starts.
  • Go to the store and try to start it again, single click like before, but can't get it to start. (Still sitting in store parking lot)

Other details:
Never had this problem before
Vehicle is pretty heavily corroded from salty roads (michigan)
162k miles
All electronics work!
Doesn't die like I've read about in some threads here

Mechanic, dad, and friend says it's got to be a starter. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all,

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Explorer V8 (5L) Eddie Bauer

Sit-rep:
  • Went to class this morning, had no problem starting.
  • Went home, no problem.
  • About two hours later go to start the car, a single click. The music, indicators all work. Fiddle around with the ignition and gas pedal and get it to start finally.
  • Start it again after a few hours and get the same issue, but finally starts.
  • Go to the store and try to start it again, single click like before, but can't get it to start. (Still sitting in store parking lot)

Other details:
Never had this problem before
Vehicle is pretty heavily corroded from salty roads (michigan)
162k miles
All electronics work!
Doesn't die like I've read about in some threads here

Mechanic, dad, and friend says it's got to be a starter. Any ideas?

Starter or terminal corrosion somewhere.

Sounds like the starter contacts are worn to me.

When the contacts were worn in my Paseo, I would get a single click. Turn the key again, maybe another click, maybe start as usual. Turn the key again, maybe another click, maybe start as usual.

Dash lights would dim, like they do when starting, but no cranking.

The battery gauge barely moves, but that's it. Towed it to the local shop to get it checked out. Will update this thread to inform those with the same problem what to do.

I have this same issue....I know I need a new battery but I also know that isnt't the real issue. Gonna start small and replace corroded battery cables and hopefully I won't have to work my way to starter. Had a guy in an '01 sport come into the lube shop I work at with the same issue.....his battery was brand new.

Back