Single clunk when lightly braking at low speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Single clunk when lightly braking at low speed

relgro

Reaction score
City, State
Beaufort
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0
I have a 2002 4.0 explorer. About a month ago I bought new pads/rotors/calipers for both rear sides. I first only installed new pads/rotor/caliper on the passenger side rear and had no problems. Yesterday I finally got around to installing the new pads/rotor/caliper on the driver side rear..so the two sides got installed about a month apart.

Now when I'm lightly braking at a low speed(basically just rolling), I feel/hear a single distinct clunk, but not every time. My brakes feel normal otherwise and I haven't yet pin-pointed if I feel the clunk in my foot on the brake pedal or just feel it in the car overall. So I'm not sure where it's coming from.. it feels like a transmission type of clunk though. Have you ever felt your transmission clunk into gear when you change your car from park into reverse or drive?That's exactly what it feels/sounds like, except it happens when I'm lightly braking at a very low speed. Even though my transmission does have other problems, I figure it has to be related to the brake job I just did yesterday because that's when it started.

On the other hand, another reason it could be transmission related is all of a sudden there is quite a delay when I put the car in reverse..this also started immediately after the brake job. Like it takes a good 2 seconds for it to switch into reverse. That's more than any delay I've ever had before. And when it finally does switch into reverse, it's accompanied by similar clunk like the one I described above when braking.

It just seems that the braking clunk should be related to the brake job, yet it feels like something with the transmission. That'd be a helluva coincidence if my transmission just so happened to start acting up in this manner exactly after I did the brake job.

I cleaned the MAF sensor and IAC valve yesterday as well, just fyi. Don't think any of this would be related to that though, just putting it out there.

Any ideas?

5r55e will occasionally clunk/click when going from 2-1 or 3-1 but its gone away and havent noticed it since. delayed revsrrse cause at least for the 5r 55e

5r55e will occasionally clunk/click when going from 2-1 or 3-1 but its gone away and havent noticed it since. delayed revsrrse cause at least for the 5r 55e
Cool deal. After driving it more the past few days, I determined it's definitely the transmission downshifting. Good news is this tranny is under warranty, just been procrastinating taking it in and getting it fixed. I feel like they're going to have to just rebuild the thing again. First was getting a shift solenoid code, then the O/D light started blinking, then it started to have trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd which is slowly getting worse, and now this. Hasn't even been a year since it was rebuilt, but have a 3 year warranty on it.

Cool deal. After driving it more the past few days, I determined it's definitely the transmission downshifting. Good news is this tranny is under warranty, just been procrastinating taking it in and getting it fixed. I feel like they're going to have to just rebuild the thing again. First was getting a shift solenoid code, then the O/D light started blinking, then it started to have trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd which is slowly getting worse, and now this. Hasn't even been a year since it was rebuilt, but have a 3 year warranty on it.
yeah, thats probably it. hopefully its a simple fix.

Back