Single tick noise heard and felt in steering wheel when turning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Single tick noise heard and felt in steering wheel when turning

Zeromarine

Reaction score
City, State
Kamloops B.C
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport Trac xlt
Hey there
I just got a 2002 sport Trac and notice when I’m going slow and making a sharper turn like pulling into or out of a driveway or turning from a stop sign. I get a single click that I can hear and feel in the steering wheel. This is both ways. It’s only heard and felt when making the turn it’s not heard or felt when the steering wheel goes back to Center If I’m sitting there not moving I can turn the wheel back and forth all the way and I don’t hear or feel anything. So it seems it’s only when your moving slow.
I did notice my lower steering shaft boot is torn so it could be from there. ? I did fill it full of grease and I ordered a boot for it. I’m going to patch the tear in it. Maybe it’s coming from that joint ? Maybe the grease will will help the joint if it’s even coming from there ? All the suspension seems good it’s only got 92,000 miles.
Thanks everyone

Hey there
I just got a 2002 sport Trac and notice when I’m going slow and making a sharper turn like pulling into or out of a driveway or turning from a stop sign. I get a single click that I can hear and feel in the steering wheel. This is both ways. It’s only heard and felt when making the turn it’s not heard or felt when the steering wheel goes back to Center If I’m sitting there not moving I can turn the wheel back and forth all the way and I don’t hear or feel anything. So it seems it’s only when your moving slow.
I did notice my lower steering shaft boot is torn so it could be from there. ? I did fill it full of grease and I ordered a boot for it. I’m going to patch the tear in it. Maybe it’s coming from that joint ? Maybe the grease will will help the joint if it’s even coming from there ? All the suspension seems good it’s only got 92,000 miles.
Thanks everyone

The clicking noise might be your clock-spring.

I also need a new boot for my steering shaft (late production '01 Sport Trac). Where did you order yours from? What's the part number?

Ya I was thinking it may be my clock spring. But it only happens when I’m moving. Which is weird. Either way it not really that loud you more feel it then anything, not really a big deal but I though if someone had the same problem they may know what it was etc.

Mine just had a small tear in the top portion. I’m just going to use Dorman #614-020. I’m going Slice it and cover it while it’s still on the truck. First I’ll fill it with grease. Then wrap a bit of tape around it. Then take some adhesive silicone. And put around the area then put the modified boot over it then zip tie it on each end. That should keep it protected more then enough.

I got it off amazon. But I’m sure any parts store will carry it.

When my was clicking during low speed tight turns it was my outer tie rod ends

Back