Sirius audio quality - changed after MFT update | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sirius audio quality - changed after MFT update

thespacecowboy

Reaction score
My wife took her explorer for a recall and they updated the software while she was there. Since then (I believe this is when it started), the Sirius quality is AWFUL. I mean less than FM, even passengers have commented. I know Sirius is compressed audio, but it was MUCH better before. Quality is about half of what it used to be. I adjusted the bass and treble (these had defaulted to the middle), but it made no difference.

According the syncmyride, her software is V3.0.2 (I haven't downloaded the tool to verify). I thought it was more likely to be the latest version of 3.5.1. (but perhaps its not updated on syncmyride). I can run another health report to double check, in case the dealer didn't report a newer update

Confirmed installations
BT4T-14D546-AP
BT4T-14F496-AS
BT4T-14F497-AP
BT4T-14F603-AP

Any suggestions before we take it back to the dealer for review re Sirius?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be issues with the satellite reception the compression of the audio And maybe even the station you're listening to. I know with my Sirius XM that sometimes the audio quality varies from channel to channel.

Sirius will adjust the bandwidth allocated to different channels depending on events and other things. If all channels are relatively muddy you might have an issue. I didn't notice any change in sirius quality between the updates (3.0.2 -> 3.5.1). I rarely listen to Sirius satellite anymore (other than howard stern), I mostly stream sirius via my phone for better quality audio (128k vs. ~20-30k).

My wife took her explorer for a recall and they updated the software while she was there. Since then (I believe this is when it started), the Sirius quality is AWFUL. I mean less than FM, even passengers have commented. I know Sirius is compressed audio, but it was MUCH better before. Quality is about half of what it used to be. I adjusted the bass and treble (these had defaulted to the middle), but it made no difference.

According the syncmyride, her software is V3.0.2 (I haven't downloaded the tool to verify). I thought it was more likely to be the latest version of 3.5.1. (but perhaps its not updated on syncmyride). I can run another health report to double check, in case the dealer didn't report a newer update

Confirmed installations
BT4T-14D546-AP
BT4T-14F496-AS
BT4T-14F497-AP
BT4T-14F603-AP

3.5.1 is the latest update. Run a vehicle health report and then check syncmyride.
No change in my Sirius reception. Quite happy with quality.

Sirius will adjust the bandwidth allocated to different channels depending on events and other things. If all channels are relatively muddy you might have an issue. I didn't notice any change in sirius quality between the updates (3.0.2 -> 3.5.1). I rarely listen to Sirius satellite anymore (other than howard stern), I mostly stream sirius via my phone for better quality audio (128k vs. ~20-30k).

The audio quality is better BT streaming off my iPhone then the built in Sirius Tuner in the Explorer?

I had no idea, I would have thought it was the other way around.

Im dropping my Explorer subscription then, thanks.

Sirius will occasionally issues in my area due to satellite and atmospheric issues. Over the long haul though, the quality has been fine, and that's what others have reported as well.

If you are having an ongoing issue, then you should take it in and have it resolved.

The audio quality is better BT streaming off my iPhone then the built in Sirius Tuner in the Explorer?

Yeah, the Sirius audio quality is about the worst you will find of current options, with AM being the one exception (well, and cassette too, but I don't think that was an option in our Explorers). It is way over-compressed, and a shame really. It is so bad, we never bothered renewing our subscription. The only thing remotely useful to us is the Travel Link stuff, but even that is over-priced for the functionality. Sirius is currently harassing us to renew...

Funny thing is, XM has much better sound quality. Too bad we can sign up for that service.

No prob with Sirius here. Just the rest of the vehicle sucks

Caveats to this... You use data, so if you don't have unlimited data you'll have an issue. You also will have to pay 14.49 a month for an internet only subscription if I recall, and a sirius radio subscription with internet is 17.99 a month, so for 3.50$ more you have the option to use both/either :)

Caveats to this... You use data, so if you don't have unlimited data you'll have an issue. You also will have to pay 14.49 a month for an internet only subscription if I recall, and a sirius radio subscription with internet is 17.99 a month, so for 3.50$ more you have the option to use both/either :)

I just renewed my Sirius at $25 for 6 months, again. Have to call a separate number than just regular renewal though.

one thing I have noticed in the Explorer is that is has the worst sattelite reception of any of the 8 vehicles I have ihad in the last 7 years

one thing I have noticed in the Explorer is that is has the worst sattelite reception of any of the 8 vehicles I have ihad in the last 7 years

Reception or audio quality?

Yours cuts out? I haven't had any reception issues. The audio quality is muddy at best, but I always have signal.
yes it cuts out all the time really pisses me off during Howard Stern......

On my daily drive, there is a spot where my old car (2010 Mazda3 hatch with Factory Sirius) or my Truck ('01 F-250 with Pioneer Avic-Z130BT and Roof Mounted antenna) always drop out. Todaywas my first day goingto wrk with the Explorer and no drop outs. sees like mine is doing better tan my others.

yes it cuts out all the time really pisses me off during Howard Stern......

Blame it on BabaBooey ;)

Seriously though, I don't think mine has cut out more than half a second one time. You might want to get the antenna or radio checked out. Are you out in the open when this happens?

On another note, Stern is the only reason I still have a Sirius radio sub :)

Blame it on BabaBooey ;)

Seriously though, I don't think mine has cut out more than half a second one time. You might want to get the antenna or radio checked out. Are you out in the open when this happens?

On another note, Stern is the only reason I still have a Sirius radio sub :)
I was thinking maybe Scott the engineer worked on it....
it happens in rendom places near buildings , on the highway for a few seconds at a time. I traveled the sam route in my other cars never had an issue
agree on the subscription if Stern leaves I will be done with Sirius...

Confirmed installations
BT4T-14D546-AP
BT4T-14F496-AS
BT4T-14F497-AP
BT4T-14F603-AP

I was thinking maybe Scott the engineer worked on it....
it happens in rendom places near buildings , on the highway for a few seconds at a time. I traveled the sam route in my other cars never had an issue
agree on the subscription if Stern leaves I will be done with Sirius...

Hi, thespacecowboy and sciond!

You may both benefit from calling SiriusXM (888-628-6277) to have them resend a signal. If that doesn't work, contact your dealers to have them take a look. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any issues!

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up my new sport yesterday, how do I find out if I have version 3.5.1?

Back