Sirius Satellite Question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sirius Satellite Question

I loose signal going under a bridge if I am going slow enough.

That is about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, that used to happen to me with my starmate if I was going slow, but this new one is just pathetic. Are there any possible causes that I could somehow fix?

Does anyone know how many satellites you need to have for the radio to play? I would imagine 2 or 3. If its only one then whats happening to me has got to be some sort of equipment problem.

I think Sirius has just one satelite currently.

I could be wrong. Either way XM has more.

If they only had one satellite then you would only have signal for about 6 hours a day. My guess is they are using most, if not all, of the US satellites which would mean on a clear horizon you would be listening to about 8-10 satellites. Once you get into trees you can easily knock that down to probably 2-4 satellites. What I'm wondering is how many satellites you need to be listening to in order for the radio to play. It would make sense that you would only need one for something so simple as music.

yeah I dont know what I am talking about,,,,

That's pretty impressive. If that's the case, then there must be some sort of buffer/delay to create seemless play when going under small bridges and trees and so on. If there is, then I would say that's whats wrong with mine. It's pretty pathetic. If this was my first sirius radio, I would return it and cancel my subscription, but I know its better than this. I called sirius and they said they cant warranty my receiver because I bought it on ebay, so I'm gonna try bringing it to circuity city and exhanging it. I still have the original package with it.

NaplesBill

How do you run the wire through the windshield, I hate being able to see the wire on the side of my x.

Sirius has three satellites and XM has two. Sirius has announced plans to launch another Satellite in 2008. BTW, the XM satellites are called Rock and Roll.

I ran my wire through a rubber grommet in the door jam then up through the fender and up the side of the windshield.

X24 said:
If they only had one satellite then you would only have signal for about 6 hours a day. My guess is they are using most, if not all, of the US satellites which would mean on a clear horizon you would be listening to about 8-10 satellites. Once you get into trees you can easily knock that down to probably 2-4 satellites. What I'm wondering is how many satellites you need to be listening to in order for the radio to play. It would make sense that you would only need one for something so simple as music.

They use geosynchronous orbit on the satellites, so they are sitting over the US 24/7 at a set spot about 22000 miles high(just hovering). Just one satellite can cover the entire US, but you may not pick it up if you are close to a tall structure. THat is why XM has 2, to give a better chance of picking up signal if something is blocking you from one of the satellites.

Back