Sissy's going up, 97 Sport lift questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sissy's going up, 97 Sport lift questions.

Happy Jack

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
Sissy is my 1997 Sport (2dr), 4.0 SOHC, auto4x4, 4.11 ls, mono leaf.

I have a Superlift 4" front box kit on the way. I have been doing some reading and think I might have a general idea of the rest but wanted to nail it down for sure. I am not wanting to go higher than what the Superlift 4" front kit will give me. I do not want to crank the torsion bars. I go camping and load the back with camping gear and supplies. So I would like the back a bit higher than the front empty. About 1 inch higher in the back empty.

Seems I read that the 4" lift rear springs, lift the rear too high on the 2dr Sport. Is that correct? Anyone have the superlift 4" lift rear springs on a 4.0 second gen Sport? I have read that another option for the rear was to install 4dr rear leaf springs and shackles. The cost of either Superlift 4" lift springs or new 4dr. spring and shackles looks to be about $300. So no real cost saving either way.

Other options for the rear?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just put 4dr springs on my sport and got about 1.5 -2inches,I did not use longer shackles so i cant offer any advise on that. Another option may be to go axle under the spring with 4dr springs, again I'm not sure how much lift that would give you. Mine is stock and I still am looking for about 2 more inches in the back after the leaf swap, its much,much better but still needs to go up.If yours is anything like mine was you may want 6 inches in the back from stock to get rid of the aweful rear squat.Mono leaf?? Who's bright idea was that ??

Thanks for the reply. Not looking for more lift though. 3" would be great but there is no suspension lift I can find for that. SOA would be a lot more than I am looking for. Yup getting rid of the mono leaf but just trying to decide which way to go.

i dont know if this applies to the sports as well but from what ive heard for 4dr owners, you get between a 5-6 in lift out of the back using the soa approach. with used 4dr multi pack springs and stock shackles... if you were to buy a new set of rear 4dr springs im sure it would be on the higher side of that and would take some time before settling. could also remove the overload spring. also where did you buy the front box kit from? how was the service price etc? good luck

Front box kit on Amazon was $575 shipped to my door.

Excuse my ignorance, but what I'm pulling up when I look at the front box kits are just the knuckles. Is that right?

Back