Sitting Vehicle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sitting Vehicle

JediKnight2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
About how many days should I let my wifes vehicle sit before I start it? She works out of town a lot and flies out so the vehicle sits for a week before she's back. I currently have a Expedition with 5.4 sitting in the shop for timing chains, etc....My thought is that in that week every bit of oil is dropping down from the top end so when I do a start it's "dry". I'm using a Motor Craft filter and 5W30 oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A week at a time shouldn’t hurt it.

Every six months or so should be fine! If the battery is marginal and the weather cold, you might need to trickle charger 'er for extended storage....

Just don't gun it on starting it after a long rest. In fact, don't touch the accelerator for 3-5 minutes or so to let the oil warm up and restore pressure in the timing chain tensioners, etc.

I have a Schumacher trickle charger wired into my system for winter months to just plug in when the temps are below zero. Best 40 bucks I've spent as I don't drive much other then once a week, and I do what they said above. I use my remote starter to let it run for 10 minutes before driving it.

My parents were out of town for three-four weeks, their ‘03 Explorer sat in the Sacramento sun at the airport the entire time.

They said it fired right up when the got back to it.

The biggest issue, is whether or not it gets driven long enough to charge the battery when it is driven. Batteries don’t like to discharge and not be readily recharged.

My parents were out of town for three-four weeks, their ‘03 Explorer sat in the Sacramento sun at the airport the entire time.

They said it fired right up when the got back to it.

The biggest issue, is whether or not it gets driven long enough to charge the battery when it is driven. Batteries don’t like to discharge and not be readily recharged.

This is the problem I face now that I have retired my Explorer. I try to drive it on the weekend, but if I miss and it sits for 2-3 weeks, I get to jump start it to get it moving again. If I go and drive it for 30-45 minutes non-stop, it's fine for another week or two. The battery tests good still and the alternator is kicking out enough juice, but just needs to be driven. It's not uncommon for it to sit for weeks when I have weekend stuff going on and I don't drive it.....

If your battery is good, check out Eric O's (South Main Auto) YouTube channel video on parasitic drain. Or buy trickle charger (half the price of a battery).

Or a battery disconnect switch. A good battery should easily sit 2-3 weeks.

Not a huge issue--but your ECM may have to re-learn fuel trims, shift points, etc., if you keep the system unpowered for very long.

Back