• Register Today It's free!

skyjacker coil q's

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
City, State
yorkville,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91ranger4x4
i'm thinking of replacing my 3.5 duff coils with some skyjackers.

what compressed height do you guys get who are running the 4" or 6" skyjacker rbv springs-especially you guys who have a first or second gen v-6 standard cab ranger?

i get about 13.5" from mine and want to get into the 14.5" range with some more flex

91 4x4 reg. cab lg. bed 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have Duff 3.5" VR coils and the Duff 3.5" lift?

INcluding radius arms?
You will be able to run 4" skyjacker coils with your drop brackets... 6" skyjacker coils will NOT WORK, you will be + camber

the 4" coils will need some time to settle, your alignment will likely require the max correction camber shims.

The Duff 3.5" lift kit uses 2" drop brackets, so running a 4" coil is really pushing it, but because the SJ coils are soft (350PSI) they should sag enough to allow you to aling it.

the Duff VR coils are nice, but they are stiff and are limiting your travel IMO

You have Duff 3.5" VR coils and the Duff 3.5" lift

INcluding radius arms?
You will be able to run 4" skyjacker coils with your drop brackets... 6" skyjacker coils will NOT WORK, you will be + camber

the 4" coils will need some time to settle, your alignment will likely require the max correction camber shims.

The Duff 3.5" lift kit uses 2" drop brackets, so running a 4" coil is really pushing it, but because the SJ coils are soft (350PSI) they should sag enough to allow you to aling it.

the Duff VR coils are nice, but they are stiff and are limiting your travel IMO
yes,stage 3 is rad.arms and new leaves,and i have the 2wd b2 coil(3.5")
the 4" coil is no problem i know,but i'm told the 6" inch coil sags to about 4.5" on ext. cab or winch trucks.
my 10" wide wheels put more leverage on the coil too (the initial reason for the 3.5"VR coils)

i think the drop brackets are more like 2.5 inch drop. i was able to use the offset bushings that were in the truck stock with the 2.5 coils and have no compromise on caster, camber when i aligned it at work(the short duff kit has great geometry). i hear on TRS that you can lift 2-3" on stock brackets and be on the ragged edge of adjustment so i figure i can get 4" pretty easy or 4.5-5" with my fingers crossed.

since the skyjackers are known to sag to less than advertised lift i'm really curious if the 4 inchers would be a waste of time?i'de like 14.5" of coil only!

i just wish i had measured the coils on the 88 i sold with a 6" skykracker lift,that would tell me if my bumper and wheels are enough to ensure around 4-4.5 inches lift,but NO MORE.i'm not afraid of cutting and extending the pivot brackets but it would make me feel better if i could get some real world #'s from you guys out there with these coils

heres a pic of the beater in question
KIF_0358.jpg

4" lift yes, 6" coils no way
I speak from experience

I have Duff drop brackets
Skyjacker radius arms
I went from Duff 3" coils to Skyjacker 6" coils

Camber was WAY OUT even with 2.75 degree moog shims
I ended up building a set of cut and turned beams so I could run the 6" coils
my 6" coils sagged to approx 4.75" of lift so I added the F-150 spring seats

the SJ coils do not sag that far overnight, it took about a year of daily driving and wheeling for them to drop down to under 5" of lift. woth + camber that will eat your tires AND its downright scary to drive with + camber on a TTB

my 6" coils sagged to approx 4.75" of lift so I added the F-150 spring seats
i was planning on some used coils and longer shocks as a start.but i wonder about coil bow as much as height.the 4inch coils would likely sag to 3 inches or so when i want right about 4 inches.

another thought-isen't the b2 heavier than the ranger single cab on the nose?

a B2 is heavier then a Ranger single cab overall, not sure about on the front suspension.

I thought my Duff coils were very stiff
I have about 5.5" of total lift over a stock suspension (as far as I could measure been a long time since she was stock)
I have a V8 drivetrain and metal bumpers, full interior.. the skyjacker coils work very well even 8 years old
The duff drop brackets I have would not work with these coils without custom beams or more pivot drop

I like the 350psi Skyjackers ALOT for off road and on street (no sway bars, shocks set on stiff)

You can get 5" coils in 350-500psi spring rate for the TTB

o.k. i think i'm starting to get it.in your heavy b2 the 6 inchers still only sag to 4.75 and have stayed pretty stable for the next 6-7 years?i'm beginning to agree that the 4"ers and maybe some spacers are the way to go.my winch is on a removeable carrier so i really don't have too much front end weight most of the time.

You can get 5" coils in 350-500psi spring rate for the TTB
500 being stock and 350 being the jackers,which manufacturer were you refering to that makes a 5"? custom?

Eibach I believe makes a 5" lift coil from 300-500+ # for desert racing....

I believe there are other spring manufacturers that will make whatever coil you specify..

National Spring? Deaver? Cant remember off th etop of my head. I would call around some of the So Cal speed shops

eibach makes the duff coils too.i bet the duff 5.5 lift coil is similar the one you are talking about.

i'll look into the 4 inch jackers

My 6" skyjacker coils on my BII only sagged to about 5.25" of lift. That is with a stock front bumper and stock engine.

My 6" skyjacker coils on my BII only sagged to about 5.25" of lift. That is with a stock front bumper and stock engine.
what about on your 97? or do you remember?

heres some heights i got from guys at other sites-

o.k. short recap for 6" skyjacker rbv's #136 435ppi 19"free
2nd gen reg-15"(new)
3rd gen reg w/winch-15" (8years)
1st gen super-15 3/8"(new)
2nd gen super-14.5"
3rd gen super-14.5"
b2 v8, bumpers-14.75(few years)
b2-16"(new)

4" skyjacker rbv's #134 480ppi 17"free
gen1 reg w/winch-14.5"
gen1 super-15"
gen3 reg-12.5-13.5"?

it seems to make sense except for junkie and critter coming out even?(the first two)but one has cut and turn and the other runs a d44ttb-not exactly conventional.
either way once i get skyjacker and duff to confirm their rates i'll know if i want to use spacers on the duff coils,4" jackers, or cut and extend my coil buckets for the 6"ers.(which seems the best of the rbv spring world)

if you move your coil buckets up run an 8" spring with only 4" of lift, this will increase your bump travel all the way to the bump stop.

The Duff VR coils are stiff
I know the Superlift coils are like 450 psi
the Skyjackers are 350 psi

skyjacker says their coils are 435ppi , and i can flex my duffs close to the bumpstop when i put the winch on front.they have the same free height of the 4" skyjacker but are much softer.

i'm not looking for a lot more travel and the 600$ steering it needs.the duff buckets are angled wrong so the coil bows out,i was thinking of a chop and small extend that doesn't interfere with the integrated dual shock setup.

Back