SLA Lockers

racinhound-Dale

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis,IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 2dr with some dents
I know there is the thread about the 75 people and the ARB but can anyone explain to me why the current ARB for a D35 will not work? I mean the locker is a full carrier replacement and the carriers are the same so I don't understand why it won't work? Any help or a direction to look would be much appreciated....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think Ray L. said the carriers were different or at least somebodys gear mechanic said so. I think a few dropped the diff and found out the hard way but maybe that was with a powertrax no-slip or whatever. Hrmmmmm which isnt a full carrier replacement??

I was under the impression that Gerald determined that our frontend wasn't a D35 at all, that it was a Sterling Van Dyke or something.

Originally posted by Jason_25
I was under the impression that Gerald determined that our frontend wasn't a D35 at all, that it was a Sterling Van Dyke or something.

They accept Heep D35 gears though?

Isn't it a reverse rotation D35 or something?

Originally posted by racinhound-Dale

They accept Heep D35 gears though?

good question.... standard or reverse rotation?

Originally posted by Alec
Isn't it a reverse rotation D35 or something?
No the Pre-95 X D35 is reverse rotation.

Soupbone that wasn't a question it was a statement. They do take the Heep 35 gears so that is why I can't understand why a Heep locker won't work:confused:

Dale, I actually have a spare 95-96 frontend in my garage right now. I can pop it open and take some measurements if you need me to.

Jason do you have a digital camera? If so can you measure the carrier width and take some pics of the carrier itself?

Who are the people that tried to do this I would like to talk to them?

LOL I know there have been tons of post that lockers/LS wont fit or whatever. So I emailed ARB tech dept.

The RD39 will work for you if you have a gear ratio of 3.54 and up
numerically.

Best Regards,
Jeff Schieck
ARB Tech Dept
ARB-USA
JSchieck@arbusa.com
ph. (206)-264-1669
ph. (888)-4ARB-USA
fax.(206)-264-1670

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 9:47 PM
To: sales@arbusa.com
Subject: Air Locker

Hello,

Will your Locker part number RD39 fit a 1999 Explorer 4x4 Dana35 IFS front
axle?

Thanks

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Josh:No no no. The no-slip WILL fit. We're talking about the ARB fitting here.

Dale:I'll be glad to do it. I will try to post pics tonight.

I think Racinhound-Dale is talking about the ARB being a full carrier replacement. The no-slip uses the stock carrier and fits.

Alright, cool, i'll leave you all alone caues i have no idea about the ARB's!!

Happy trails!!

soupbone, I would much rather have an ARB up front than a powertrax. But I doubt it will actually fit. The only way I would have one installed is if they GUARANTEED me it would fit.

ARB!

Exactly! who knows.. the ARB tech said it would but maybe he thinks its a 91-94. hrmff!?

The moment of truth........

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Here's the pics guys. If you look closely at pic 4 you can see the DANA icon etched into the cover.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It Don't Fit

The carrier is too big for the diffy housing.
I wanted to get my lockers done the same time I changed gears. the gear guy called me and told me that he couldn't get ARB Locker to go into the housing. :(

Back