Slamming a 1998 Limited? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slamming a 1998 Limited?

Sharp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Limited
Does anyone know of a kit that does a 4-6 inch drop in the front and what components make it up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no "kit" that will accomplish 4" or more

It will require a minimum of a few thousand dollars and extensive fabrication to make a drive-able truck out of an explorer lowered that far.

The stock upper ball joint is under severe stress and riding at maximum angle if the front is lowered by more than 2". You'll need custom control arms, which would need to work with the steering geometry. Tricky stuff

I am pretty sure 6" in the rear will require sections cut out of the frame and welded back in as a start.

Turdle, please post up a few pics of your truck when it was lowered. Could you also provide the amount you lowered it?
I lower everything I own and have been tossing around lowering my x since I got it, but its so much fun to drive over medians and curbs to get to where I need to go sometimes and I think I would miss that.

I do not have a measurement, but did shave about an inch off the front bump stops, if that helps.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had mine lowered 4 inches in the rear and 3 1/2 up front, never had any problems will suggest doing a c notch in the rear. Also better upper control arms. I also didn't have it lowered but for a year now its been lifted 7 inches over stock height since.

Mine is 3"*** lowered all around.
No bump stops.
New ball joints every 2 years or so.

*** might be 2.75" or 2.5" now since I keep taking weights off the truck.

Are there any better UCA?
Turdle, that monty AWD? Wheel widths, tire size, spacers? You really nailed the stance.

Thanks. :D

AWD, 17x9 eagle alloy wheels, 275-60-17 cooper cobra tires, no spacers.Roof rack delete, and, Black tinted 3rd brake light helps the illusion also. :thumbsup:

Mine is 3"*** lowered all around.
No bump stops.
New ball joints every 2 years or so.

EEK! if you need to replace the balljoints every 2 years, i better check mine! then again, i think i only dropped mine around 2 inch. 3 inch is a lot more stress on everything i guess.

jon, how did you get away without any wheel spacers? i have 1/4, or 3/8's (cant even remember anymore) up front on mine.

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing. Those wheels look like they have a fwd offset but they fit great. Must have a real thick mounting pad.
I'm thinking about a lowering and throw on a set of lightning wheels with adapter/spacers. Anyone ever seen that? Love those wheels cause they look like stock explorer but tougher.

From memory they were -19mm off set. Does that sound right?

Anyway, for what it is worth, techieman33 bought them from me and ran them on his rig with no spacers also, check his threads out.

Very cool, turdle. Thanks

probably a dumb question but where are the front bump stops located? I don't currently have jack stands so i can't really get under my X at the moment.

probably a dumb question but where are the front bump stops located? I don't currently have jack stands so i can't really get under my X at the moment.

behind and slightly above the rear lower control arm mount, you should see em. The lower arm is the contact point

turdle. i am lowering mine today as we speak. my questtion is on the wheels however. My x is a limited with the flare to running board set up. if I run a 17x10 on rear will it flush my wheel to factory flare line or would you just go with spacers on rear with 17x9? this has been looming in my mind for some time now

Back