Slaughterhouse Gulch, Saturday 10/13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slaughterhouse Gulch, Saturday 10/13

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
So we don't clog up Jenni's thread, I figured I'd start this one. :thumbsup:

When: Saturday, October 13th
Where: Slaughterhouse Gulch
Why: To see the changing Aspens and last chance to wheel before the snows. :cool:
Info:
TrailDamage.com write-up

Slaughterhouse Gulch
Park County, Colorado

Nearby Towns: Highland Park
Nearby Trails: Red Cone, Radical HillSeason: Year Round
Trail Length: 11.7 miles
Elevation: 8,931 to 9,817 feet
Named Obstacles: Poser Rock, Mud Pits

Low-End Rating:3
High-End Rating:5
This is a great trail if you're looking for a lot of flex. The "whoopdeedoos" (dirt moguls that twist your suspension) found through the entire trail are challenging to a stock vehicle, especially if your sway bar is not disconnected.

Directions:
Turn right on Park County Road 43 off of Highway 285 about 24 miles from Denver. Follow this road northeast for just over 6 miles and turn left on Saddlestring Road. Turn left right away on FSR101. You'll see the steel Slaughterhouse Gulch sign just after 2 miles.

Meeting Places

Meet in Conifer on Highway 285 at Safeway/Sonic strip mall in Conifer.

Meeting Time: 9AM

Who's coming:
becker69 + 1 Range Rover + 2-4 RMFTC guys?
410Fortune
Hokie
ProjectAviator
FlyBoyCoe
sparkyXplorer
schmidlkofer (maybe)

Interested in Camping:
Hokie
FlyBoyCoe
1-2 Guys on RMFTC

Tim/Sparky we can meet near FoCo and caravan down to the 470/285 meeting spot if you want.

We need to decide on a time for Saturday morning, I'd prefer earlier but Tim will be driving down from Cheyenne, so we may not want to make it tooo early.

Would anyone be interested in finding a place to camp Saturday night?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I get my S**T together then I would be down with meeting up with a small caravan before meeting up with the whole group...I really don't feel that I need to drive 30 miles north to Fort Collins just to drive 30 miles south again but I would definately like to meet up somewhere...Depending on if any friends ride with me I may be down with camping out for the night, and would that mean some light wheelin the next morning?

I really don't feel that I need to drive 30 miles north to Fort Collins just to drive 30 miles south again but I would definately like to meet up somewhere...

*Near* FoCo... lol, like the Johnstown exit on I-25 ;)

maybe.

That works lol...

To: anybody who has ran slaghterhouse, and has had experiance with the AWD...Do you guys think that the stock AWD would handle it ok? Cause if So then you can count me in for sure but if not then it depends on if the 4406 makes it under my car in time...

mr. hokie is a great planner... good work! damn this looks sweet.

Where and time are we meeting for this run. Sat the 13 right??

Tim

Brett (Hokie) and I met at a good spot he found to take the 285 West out of Denver at a gas station (Philips, I think) off of the 470 just South of the 285 at the Bowles Avenue exit. (on the East side of the 470). This might be a good place. We can also meet up with people in Conifer if that works better.

There is also a huge Safeway, fuel, Sonic, and Strip mall in Conifer that is on the WEST side of the 285 (thus you exit and it's on the left side... so take the exit overpass left over the 285) that provides a big lot for us to meet at, get snacks, gas, whatever and head out. Leaving there (Conifer area) at ~ 9 - 9:30 we should be able to make good time) -- I'll have to check with the rmftc board guys/gals as well.

I'll be in Conifer at around 8:57 - 9:19 at the latest. ;) Depending on my buddy and his neighbor(s) and the rmftc crowd...

See Hokie... traildamage.com is a handy site :D :thumbsup:

Edited to update meeting spot, lets use Doug's recommendation of the Safeway strip mall in Conifer.

9AM in Conifer sound good?

Doug, there are two Safeway's listed for Conifer. One on Main Street and one on 285.

The one on Main street is close to the Sonic and Starbucks.

Attachments

• conifer safeway.JPG
    conifer safeway.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 359

I'll be at or near the Safeway at ~ 9:03am (updated my time). It should be a stone throw away from wherever the Bradley gas station is. I gotta get a starbucks at Safeway and Grub at sonic before we head out :)

To: anybody who has ran slaghterhouse, and has had experiance with the AWD...Do you guys think that the stock AWD would handle it ok?

Haven't run it so I can't answer, but I keep reading reviews of long, steep ascents and decents... Sounds like Low Range would really be preferred.

Note that because of the long hills it could also be very dangerous, and you could get stuck at the bottom of the loop with no way back up unless you have a winch or some help.

I'll be at or near the Safeway at ~ 9:03am (updated my time). It should be a stone throw away from wherever the Bradley gas station is. I gotta get a starbucks at Safeway and Grub at sonic before we head out :)

EDIT: Ok, lets meet there

...to bad i don't live in parker anymore...:D

Snow = wheeling season just began! right?
hehehehe

I need a winch.

I plan to be there for sure, but I must clear this with my other half

if we run Slaughterhouse quick enough we can head over to Buffalo Creek for more, or another trail in the area (I am not sure of all the names)

Bring your jackets!!!! (bionoculars are a good idea too if you aer a CO newbie, lots to see up there)

This is going to be a great time :bounce:

Emily's interested in camping (although she still doesn't know that we're going 4wheelin')

Looks like the Deer Creek campground may be open? It's just north on 43 from the turn off to Slaughterhouse Gulch.

EDIT: Crap, maybe not
DEER CREEK CAMPGROUND has 13 campsites with parking spurs 16-30’; elevation is 9000’; camping season begins in May and continues to early September; the use fee is $13.00 per night. Facilities include: tables vault toilet and fire rings. (NO WATER) Click here for a campground layout map.

There's camping spots around there, just not open designated campgrounds. Jaime, do you know of any places near there that we could camp?

About 47000 of them :)
Colorado Camping = walk a bit, pitch tent

There are many many many free camping spots on Slaughterhouse itself, pre made fire pits, etc

Its gorgeous up there too, but be careful many many people hunt up there (I am not a hunter so I do not know the seasons) but I believe safety orange may be a good idea....

We like to camp up there when there is 2-3' of snow on the ground, you can have big fires and sled behind the trucks on the roads :)
Some of the things I speak about may be illegal so you did not hear it from me

I thought that they made slaughterhouse a not hunting area...Thought I read that some where, maybe traildamage.com

its quite possible they did! there is also a sign at the beginning of Carnage BOulder that says no shooting.......about 20 yards past that are about 400 people with guns shooting old dryers and watermelons...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brett, before I wasn't sure if I would go but count me in...I decided if it comes down to it I am going in AWD...
I am down to leave pretty early Sat morning so just LMK...

Just went back to traildamage and quoted this "When you first start the trail (near a sign for Forest Road 101) it is a mellow dirt road with some dips in it. Hunting is no longer allowed in this area, making it a lot safer to drive through." but like you said who listens to the signs... and I don't know how big the "Area" that they sectioned of is..

Back