Slave cylinder cost? Ripoff! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slave cylinder cost? Ripoff!

P

Pete

Well the clutch is shot so I'm going to replace the slave cylinder while everything is apart ('91 XLT 4x4 4dr). The local dealer here wants $166 for the clutch slave cylinder. Is this too much? I've read elsewhere on this board (I think) that the factory slave is the only one to go with, i.e. that the aftermarket cylinders don't cut the mustard. Any thoughts or experience on this? Thanks! ! !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pete..

I've heard the same thing about sticking with the OEM slave cylnder. I did some pricing comparisons myself with places like Grand Auto, Kragen, Pep Boys, etc. and they weren't all that much cheaper than what you've found from Ford. I say bite the bullet and stick with the Ford one for the peace of mind...

Ivan

Well I found a Raybestos for $112. It has a lifetime warranty. I figure I can pocket the $44 savings and if it goes out in a year or so, then that's the gamble I'll take.

THe clutch slave cylinder assembly on my 97 Ranger 5-spd is listed at 45.37 on my recent warranty report sheet. That 166 sounds REALLY high - there's a Ford parts discount dealer on the net that has been referenced in the past, you might consider them.

Hey Briant,

What is the URL for that discount Ford dealer on the Web???? My slave clyinder is shot to...I wonder if I should wait to replace it when the clutch finally goes again...
HARD shifts til then... Anyone change this part...how difficult is it to do the job yourself?

I used a "Big A" part. It's made by Wagner Brakes and is NEW, not rebuilt ($60). The clutch in this truck has NEVER felt this good, in the previous 130,000 miles. Word of warning... don't wait, and "get around to it". Putting extra stress on the 5 speed can be very, very expensive.

[This message has been edited by car 36 (edited 08-17-1999).]

I am going through the same problem right now. Cant say it better than this, replace immediately. If youre leaking dot 3 from the slave it can destroy the clutch and flywheel. I just put a brand new clutch and slave in my 95 in April, bad part, now I will be replacing everything. Hoping M5OD doesnt need a rebuild because of DOT 3

Back