• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Slide Scanners

shamaal

Reaction score
City, State
Friensdwood, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
Mrs. Shamaal has run out of things to do with her time, so I recommended she scan 40 years of slides and photos before they decay any further.

At one time I had settled on the Nikon Coolscan V @ $600. Looking them up now, it appears they are no longer in production. The replacement seems to be Coolscan 5000 @ $1000. I thought the price of electronics is supposed to go down over time?

At any rate anyone have any experience with medium priced slide/negative scanners please post. The majority of the slides are in Kodachrome. I imagine Minolta and Cannon make a scanner also. I'm not a professional by any means, so I don't need the expensive types.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Good slide scanners have always been expensive. The market is limited since barely anyone shoots film of any kind these days.

I have a Minolta Dimage which is more than 6 years old. I hate it... Too much post scan work was needed to correct the problems with each individual slide. I used it for a short time then put it away. I barely scanned anything with it. Too frustrating:( I'm sure they're better now, but I really don't want to spend 1k to find out.