slight shake after sway bar bushing install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

slight shake after sway bar bushing install

boostboyike

Reaction score
City, State
springfield mo
Hello!This may be my first post,but have had an Explorer for a while.I have a 98 xlt,lifted two inches in front,three in rear.TT with an add a leaf, and helper springs,Pro Comp 9000 shocks,15x8 inch rims, and 31x10.5 Dayton Timberline mt's.The problem i have is i just installed energy suspension front sway bar bushings and now while turning right,the steering wheel shakes like a bad tie rod or something ,but i just replaced all the front parts with moog.I cant figure out why it whould be shaking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...maybe the reason your old bushings went out is now appaerent with the new bushings...i would say since you have everything new it's time for an alignment...after the alignment my only guess would be cv's...:D

Just had an alighnment last week after i put the ball joints,tie rods on.Cvs are fairly new.It didnt do it befor i put the bushings on.And its more of a steering wheel "push" like turning to sharp with bad ball joints.Its kinda faint but i can feel it.befor i put hte bushings on,i had a poping sound going over bumps.As far as i can tell,it quit but havent drivin it much yet.

Sounds like power steering has air in it. Mine did the same thing after replacing all the joints/lift etc. If you turned the wheel/tire while the truck was off the ground not using the steering wheel (you manually turned the actual wheel/tire by grabbing it and pushing/pulling, not using the steering wheel), it normally introduces air into the system. Easy fix, just start the truck up and while parked go from full steering lock one way then the other several times and make sure the resovoir is full. After 6 cycles or so that jerking in the steering should go away.

~Mike..........

My truck sits so high, i didnt even have to jack it up lol.But now that you mentiond it,i moved the steering wheel without starting the truck,whould that cause air?.I do have the infamous power steering whine,but always had that.And i already knew about how to get rid of the air, but didnt even think about it.I guess i should clear something up.I replaced ball joints, tie rods, last week.No jerking.Replaced bushings just today,now jerks.But just a little.Ill try the side to side fix.

My truck sits so high, i didnt even have to jack it up lol.But now that you mentiond it,i moved the steering wheel without starting the truck,whould that cause air?

Yes, moving the steering wheel without the assistance of the power steering pump will also introduce air into the system. Again not a difficult fix...cycle the wheel back and forth. Air will cause SEVERE steering-wheel shaking over bumps and sharp turns until all of the air is removed.

Thanks!Whats wierd is it even does it when im just changing lanes.Im gunna try to get the air out.Now all i need is a good steering shaft, and my front end will be done.

HA ha....I have a steering shaft from my 1998 Mercury Mountaineer that was the donor for my Ranger motor swap.

I'll sell it to you for cheap!

Sounds like power steering has air in it. Mine did the same thing after replacing all the joints/lift etc. If you turned the wheel/tire while the truck was off the ground not using the steering wheel (you manually turned the actual wheel/tire by grabbing it and pushing/pulling, not using the steering wheel), it normally introduces air into the system. Easy fix, just start the truck up and while parked go from full steering lock one way then the other several times and make sure the resovoir is full. After 6 cycles or so that jerking in the steering should go away.

~Mike..........
Totally worked as you suggested. 6xs to right & left & problem went away completely !!

~Mike..........
Totally worked, 6xs to right & Left & problem solved. Worked perfectly as usual / normal.

Back