Slight underbody smell 2017 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slight underbody smell 2017 Ford Explorer

WallaceMI

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
Hi,

I have a 2017 Ford Explorer 4WD (~50k miles) and noticed a slight smell coming from the underside of my car after stepping out of my Explorer after shutoff. The smell is not very strong and disappears after a few minutes. It smells like like if e.g. you put in a brand new exhaust or gasket...almost like a burn off the coating material of a brand new exhaust. Tough to decscipe. No smoke noticeable.

I checked all the fluids (coolant, oil, if anything is leaking from the rear diff or trans, or if anything is "wet" below the Explorer). So far everything looks fine.

I live in Michigan and we got a lot snow currently combined with road salt. I find a lot about people mentioning "winter burning smell" when the water/salt splashed on the underbody of their car and since the exhaust is still hot after shutting down it evaporates and causes the smell.

Does anyone has similar experiences?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've driven in plenty of those conditions and have never noticed any smell on any of the vehicles I've had and I park in my garage.
A failing PTU will give off a propane type smell according to posts I have read here.

Peter

Hi,

I have a 2017 Ford Explorer 4WD (~50k miles) and noticed a slight smell coming from the underside of my car after stepping out of my Explorer after shutoff. The smell is not very strong and disappears after a few minutes. It smells like like if e.g. you put in a brand new exhaust or gasket...almost like a burn off the coating material of a brand new exhaust. Tough to decscipe. No smoke noticeable.

I checked all the fluids (coolant, oil, if anything is leaking from the rear diff or trans, or if anything is "wet" below the Explorer). So far everything looks fine.

I live in Michigan and we got a lot snow currently combined with road salt. I find a lot about people mentioning "winter burning smell" when the water/salt splashed on the underbody of their car and since the exhaust is still hot after shutting down it evaporates and causes the smell.

Does anyone has similar experiences?
My rear brake calipers had issues. Smelled hot. These cars have rear brake issues so might want to check it out.

So I smelled it again today. It happen after already 0.5 miles of driving. I stepped out of the car since I was curious,. Smell is light but noticeable.
Brakes were not hot. Smell could come from there but not sure.

Is there anything I can check if the PTU is the issue? Wet shaft / seal? Color or fluid?

Also can this PTU thing related to the extended warranty (20N07)? I resencrtly got the trans also reprogrammed / flash since there was also a recall out from Ford.

So I smelled it again today. It happen after already 0.5 miles of driving. I stepped out of the car since I was curious,. Smell is light but noticeable.
Brakes were not hot. Smell could come from there but not sure.

Is there anything I can check if the PTU is the issue? Wet shaft / seal? Color or fluid?

Also can this PTU thing related to the extended warranty (20N07)? I resencrtly got the trans also reprogrammed / flash since there was also a recall out from Ford.
Go smell around the car. Hood, brakes and under. Feel the wheels. 1/2 a mile isn't much and car certainly not warmed up.

As others mentioned, put your hand NEAR each brake rotor. If you detect noticeable differences from one to another, chances are you have a caliper hanging up or damaged (crushed) brake line hose.

Back