• Register Today It's free!

Slightly wet water pump

pugsy

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4 (4 door)
Was poking around under the hood today and noticed that the water pump that the fan pully is attached to is a bit wet (with coolent I presume) - very faint smell of coolent under the hood. The level isn't low, but I'm just curious if replacing the waterpump gasket is a big job or not (assuming that's the problem of why it's wet).
Any input or if anyones had this trouble and done this job, let me know.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most Ford water pumps have holes in the housings to allow leaking fluid from bad seals to escape. Usually fluid around the bearings behind the pulley is a good hint to change the pump. Change the other idler pulleys also when in there. Good luck,

Is it just wet where the Waterpump body meets the Engine Block? If yes, it might be coming from the Intake manifold. These engines have Intake manifold gasket issues and it usually starts leaking at the one Nut right by the Temperature sender (buried under the Upper radiator hose). The anti freeze finds it's way down the front on the engine and rounds around the Waterpump where it meets the Block.

Check this if the antifreeze isn't coming from the weep hole in the waterpump

I'm not quite sure, I gotta get a flashlight and look at it closer. Where bouts is the weep hole?
If it's the Intake Manifold...how long before it totally gives out? Big job to remove and replace the gasket?

Most Ford water pumps have holes in the housings to allow leaking fluid from bad seals to escape. Usually fluid around the bearings behind the pulley is a good hint to change the pump. Change the other idler pulleys also when in there. Good luck,

Look around the bearings behind the pulley, the holes are 1/8" in size, top and bottom.

Check you top hose and Tstat gasket. It could be dripping down onto the water pump.

I concue. I would do the change as soon as possible.

I'm not quite sure, I gotta get a flashlight and look at it closer. Where bouts is the weep hole?
If it's the Intake Manifold...how long before it totally gives out? Big job to remove and replace the gasket?

The weep hole is on the body of the Waterpump. Generally on the bottom and usually almost covered by the Pulley. If you look up from under the car, the weep hole should be facing straight down.
If the Body of the pump is wet, it's a good chance the pump might be failing IF the wet is just around the pump where it meets the Engine block, it's probably the Intake manifold. Generally speaking it's pretty big job on this engine. a lot of crap has to move and be unplugged to get both the Intake Plenum off and the Valve Covers. Yes, the valve covers come off too. What a dopey gasket setup on this 4.0. plan on a careful 6 hour job. for the first time.

k...got a flashlight under the hood today and took a good look around.
The water pump isn't wet by the pully so as per above I would assume that the water pump is okay still. No leakage around the T-stat housing either. The wetness seems to start somewhere behind the t-stat housing, but too much crap there to really see. Then basically just the top of the water pump is wet on the part that contacts the gasket. Looking up from under the truck, the bottom of the pump isn't wet either, the wet stops where the rad hose goes to the radiator.

So Tony H, you think it's the intake manifold as you mentioned? As I said above, I'm not really down coolant and nothing is making it to the ground. Is there any issues driving it like this like normal, city, highway, etc? Will it eventually slowly get worse or would it just give out all at once and strand me?? Not too interested in taking off the top of the engine!!
Thanks for the input guys!

Try to do some cleaning in there and check it again regularly. It's best to figure it out and fix it before it gets much wore. Good luck,

k...got a flashlight under the hood today and took a good look around.
The water pump isn't wet by the pully so as per above I would assume that the water pump is okay still. No leakage around the T-stat housing either. The wetness seems to start somewhere behind the t-stat housing, but too much crap there to really see. Then basically just the top of the water pump is wet on the part that contacts the gasket. Looking up from under the truck, the bottom of the pump isn't wet either, the wet stops where the rad hose goes to the radiator.

So Tony H, you think it's the intake manifold as you mentioned? As I said above, I'm not really down coolant and nothing is making it to the ground. Is there any issues driving it like this like normal, city, highway, etc? Will it eventually slowly get worse or would it just give out all at once and strand me?? Not too interested in taking off the top of the engine!!
Thanks for the input guys!

Sorry to say it but I'm guessing it is an Intake issue. I know there is a bunch of crap there by the T'stat Housing. When I had my issue, The top of the waterpump ( at the gasket) was wet and it ran down the left side ( looking through the Front grill) of the water pump. It was hard to determine that because it was such a slow leak and it obviously ran down the pump and had no place to puddle. The very end Nut, is torqued to 18 ft lbs, you might get very lucky and just slightly snug that bolt down. Go easy, it's small hardware, breake the Stud and you are F'd.

Back