• Register Today It's free!

slipping transmission

kmartin

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer Sport
I just notice it this week. 2004 Sport Trac 102,300 miles. When I do a light acceleration at about 2000 rpm the transmission will slip. It will do it for a little bit soon after your driving and then function like normal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just notice it this week. 2004 Sport Trac 102,300 miles. When I do a light acceleration at about 2000 rpm the transmission will slip. It will do it for a little bit soon after your driving and then function like normal.
Is this always in the same gear/MPH, or is it every gear at 2000 RPM?

Regardless, slipping transmissions usually get worse, not better. Any transmission fluid leaks? When was the last time the transmission pan was dropped for a filter & fluid change?

First time it happened, I was going around slight turns in a road at around 40-45 mph and slightly pushing on accelerator to bring up to speed. Did it for a little bit. Second time, I was pulling out going up to speed. Both times it happened soon after I started driving and it all happened within a week. Transmission flush was done at around 46,000 miles. Fluid is still red the last I checked. So basically this means a tranny rebuilt?

Sure you have enough fluid in it? Level has to be checked when engine is running in park.

Also, make sure the transmission is at its operating temp when checking fluid level. I’ll usually drive around for 15 min or so first.

If this is a 5R55 series transmission it could be a worn intermediate servo bore. This could be a 2nd to 3rd shift flare you are experiencing. If that is the case, there is a semi-permanent fix that can be done without removing the transmission.

Ford Lincoln Mercury Explorer Mountaineer Navigator Servo Bore Fix

How many miles do you have on the vehicle?

102,300 miles. No leaks that I know of. Need to go check the level. Didn't see the OD light flash yet

Have you adjusted the bands? There are two bolts with lock nuts on them on transmission, drivers side under truck. Search for how to do this.

Thanks for the replies. I won't be attempting to do a lot of these suggestion. I am going to be in contact with some transmission shops, but I have a feeling they aren't going to suggests anything short of a rebuilt. Never heard of adjusting bands.

Search for '5r55e band adjustment'. If it's your shop that hasn't heard of this find another shop!

Search for '5r55e band adjustment'. If it's your shop that hasn't heard of this find another shop!
+1

If after band adjustment has been checked you experience RPM flares between gears/during shifts it is most likely worn servo bores, which is a relatively quick and easy fix with the transmission in the vehicle.

If the transmission is slipping while in a gear, that’s another story, and most likely internal.

If the transmission is slipping while in a gear, that’s another story, and most likely internal.
Would this mean a rebuilt/remanufactured job?

Depends on the root cause. It could be a valve body, or It could be a worn band, and so on.

That determination would take a mechanic who works on transmissions, not one who just installs them.

Have you checked the fluid? What's it look like?

Check engine light came on yesterday for same issue and pulled a code. One code and P0193 is it. Looks like not a tranny issue.

Are you sure it wasn't p1903?
( kickdown solenoid low voltage)

OBD-II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

I'm not sure our vehicles have a sensor to log a P0193 ( low fuel pressure sensor) code but I could be mistaken.

Are you sure it wasn't p1903?
( kickdown solenoid low voltage)

OBD-II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

I'm not sure our vehicles have a sensor to log a P0193 ( low fuel pressure sensor) code but I could be mistaken.

Yes job 2 Sport Trac starting in 02 got the fuel temp/pressure sensor as well as flex fuel capability

Ok, back with more questions. Going to get the sensor replaced. Could that code play with the lose of power or tranny going out of gear? Or do you think getting the P0193 code was coincidental? This morning was first time the transmission done its thing under a different condition. After the vehicle sat for more than 10 hours and it was more warmed up, although it was rainy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2005 Limited 4x4 started doing this Thursday, no Friday would not move in first nor reverse.
Clean flush every 30k miles, red fluid synthetic since nearly new, 171000miles.

Is it worth 2400 of a 3500 vehicle to rebuild?

Put in a new valve solenoid block few years ago, thought to solve the harsh shifts.

Friday - Check Trans flashed and OD off light illuminated.

Trans shop I called wants $2400 to re build it, said they do one a day, won't use used or rebuild parts in them due to risk of early failure.

they said trans in these things are junk, next to timing chain and wheel bearings.

Alternatives?

Back