• Register Today It's free!

Slipping Transmission?

rwest!

Reaction score
City, State
Central, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
For the first time today, I'm sitting at a traffic light and as soon as the light changes, I step on the gas and the truck jerks a little, give it a little more gas and accerelates normally. This happens again when I stop, a little jerking in the beginning but then I can continue drive as normal.

I come home, put the truck in reverse to back in my parking spot, same jerking, then it goes away. I just checked the fluid level and I'm not low. I left a message on my mechanic's answering machine since he doesn't work on Sunday. 1) Does this sound like the start of getting my trans totally replaced? or 2) does some slipping indicate a particular part or trans fluid flush or what?

I'm going to see my mechanic after work tomorrow, but I wanted to see if this has happened to anyone, just to get an idea of what could be happening.

Also, if it does end up being a trans rebuild,how much $$$ could I be looking at spending?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any updates?Tranny rebuilds in your area are probally high:( I can have one rebuilt in my area for aroud 1200

When was the last time you had the tranny serviced?? If it's been a while, have it flushed before you have someone rip into it. Sometimes old fluid can cause the tranny to slip.

On the down side, Explorer trannies aren't known for their durability. :(

Trans slipping?

Thanks for responding! I just had a recent death in my family, I've been away but the next day I added a quart of fluid, it hasn't jerked since - how do you like that?

It now starts off without jerking and driving in reverse, no jerking or noise anymore!???

I'm still going to have my mechanic check it out - he said he has some kind of computer than he can plug in the truck to see exactly what's wrong (if anything) with the trans, I'll keep you posted, but for now it's running better.

And trans service?....it's been a while, I bought the truck last October from someone who moved to Texas so let's just say it's been since I've bought it.

sorry to hear about the death

Glad to hear about your tranny:D

Back