Sloped body lift + SOA successful | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sloped body lift + SOA successful

he means a longer driveshaft due to the SOA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

he means a longer driveshaft due to the SOA.
You must have X-ray webervision. I didn't see SOA mentioned anywhere here.

At the risk of starting a debate... are there any real problems that come from doing a sloped BL? Nick said he hasn't had any problems, but does the slope increase wear & tear anywhere? (besides possibly needing longer drive shaft) What are the draw-backs to this system, besides that it's a modified BL?
That doesn't read as a reference to Nick's SOA to me either.

You must have X-ray webervision.
is that where you can see through your grill cover? (i know, that was lame)

That doesn't read as a reference to Nick's SOA to me either.
Your right he doesn't explicitly say SOA but I don't know why anyone would do a sloped body lift with out doing SOA.

As for downsides... there really isn't any, I didn't notice any difference in gas tank level or steering caster... I did have 5th gear break on me, and someone suggested it was possibly from my lift and it caused the fluid to flow to the front of the tranny(5th's in the back) but I have a feeling that had more to do with 70K highway miles and oversize tires, and the tranny shop confirmed thats a common break for these trannies.

anyone actually measure the size of the body lift pucks?

how bad do you think the rake would be to do a 3" sloped BL and SOA on a 97 Sport?
Just wondering for future reference.

i was wondering the same thing. i think if you have the sagging mono leaf problem like most sports do it might only have a slight rake, probly less of a rake than a 4dr x with the same mod. too bad i have swapped out for 4dr leafs and trashed my mono's...hindsight is a biatch. sounds like a good way to get a 5-6" lift for not too much$$

will this work on the 2wd explorer and how much does it cost

back from the dead

will this work on the 2wd explorer and how much does it cost

Yes i know i have been gone a while :D

Yes this will work on a second gen

you will need a complete body lift kit plus spring over mounts. PA 833 (or is that 833) for a ranger prices vary search for the best price. I got my SOA mounts for like 25 a pair shipped. Keep in mind you have to be able to weld to but the new perches on.

The question is answered now on tooo...

If you gonna do it on a 2nd gen just do the body lift and a TT and an AAL and you can run 33's no issues.

But hey its your rig. Build it for your wheeling sytle. thats why i changed over to a solid axle in the front.

does any body have any spare parts i can use to do the lift heres a pic of my truck

Yes i know i have been gone a while :D

Yes this will work on a second gen

you will need a complete body lift kit plus spring over mounts. PA 833 (or is that 833) for a ranger prices vary search for the best price. I got my SOA mounts for like 25 a pair shipped. Keep in mind you have to be able to weld to but the new perches on.

The question is answered now on tooo...

If you gonna do it on a 2nd gen just do the body lift and a TT and an AAL and you can run 33's no issues.

He was asking about 2wd not second gen, but anyway yeah 4wd/2wd it shouldn't matter. And no I gave away all my extra pieces. You are going to need most of the 883 kit anyway though(front bumper brackest, steering connector, drop brackets) so you might as well just cough up the $150 or whatever it costs now and get the whole kit.

now for just a quicky how do you get the correct measurement for the body lift. Put the first set of blocks in with the middle ones removed?

now for just a quicky how do you get the correct measurement for the body lift. Put the first set of blocks in with the middle ones removed?

no, I just measure the distance between each body mount and got the full length, then figured out the percentages and multiplied them by 3inches to figure out how much to reduce each one. Doing what your suggesting, I think could flex/tweak the body I think and it will throw things off. Just look at the first post of this thread for the measurements i came up with.

will i be able to fit 33" with only a 3" body lift because i don't have $500 for lift spindles or does anyone know were i can buy them cheaper

will i be able to fit 33" with only a 3" body lift because i don't have $500 for lift spindles or does anyone know were i can buy them cheaper

if you are only 2wd then you can do like a 3" torsion twist on top of the 3" body lift which should clear them pretty easy. I clear 33x10.5 with some minor front bumper trimming.

So have you ever had any more problems with your driveshaft or is it still just the original one?

Are you still running the 32's or did you move up at all? Do you think you could get 35's in there with some light trimming?

Any pitfalls you noticed to doing this now that its been a while? Or are you still just as happy?

I am really considering this on my wife's explorer. I have some 32's to put on but also have a set of 35 at's i could use as well.

O and you had to use the steering extension right?

So have you ever had any more problems with your driveshaft or is it still just the original one?
I have had to replace the u joints a couple times, but i put greasable ones in, not the greased for life ones, and haven't been that good about greasing them up. I do think it was a good decision to move the rear axle forward an inch though.

Are you still running the 32's or did you move up at all? Do you think you could get 35's in there with some light trimming?
I have 33x10.5 bfg all terrains on there now with no clearance issues at all. I think you could easily fit 35's in the rear, the front might just need some more trimming. There is an thread on here somewhere that jefe did about trimming the front to fit 35's and it came out pretty good. That's what I would do.

Any pitfalls you noticed to doing this now that its been a while? Or are you still just as happy?
Nope, I still think it's the best thing I've done to my truck. I first did this around 80K and now i have 150K and everything is still going well.

I am really considering this on my wife's explorer. I have some 32's to put on but also have a set of 35 at's i could use as well.
With a little work I think you could go for the 35's

O and you had to use the steering extension right?
Yeah I already had the extension on from when I had the body lift alone on it so I didn't bother taking it off to see if it would reach without it but I would assume it is necessary.

Thanks for posting this all up, it's exactly what I had in mind to do when I first bought the X. I did the X rear end in my Ranger swap to lower it 5" so I figured, reverse would work too. Read about TT only going 2" so it got me thinking and well, it's been done! I will be doing this as soon as I can afford to buy a body lift kit :( Extra money sucks atm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for some reason i unbolted all of my body mounts to put on 3" lift blocks but my body wouldn't come off the frame anybody know why????

Back