Slosh Module | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slosh Module

welsh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
For the last several months I've tried to find the problem thats causing my gas gauge to read empty. I've replaced the the pump and the dash cluster. I read about a "slosh module" but my cluster doesn't have one.
This 2002 xlt doesnt seem to have any parts that are in common with the suggested fix solutions. Any suggestion on why I have a constant "empty" reading?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Constant empty points to a wiring problem.
Mine was intermittent stuck on empty. A can of Seafoam fixed it immediately.
20 consecutive starts now, with zero gauge failures.

Is it always at zero?

One basic tip (if it eventually goes back to level) after filling up, put the key in and start the vehicle. That is, don't put it in run only, go directly to starting it after a fill up.

Are you getting any codes? PO463 or something?

Is it always at zero?

One basic tip (if it eventually goes back to level) after filling up, put the key in and start the vehicle. That is, don't put it in run only, go directly to starting it after a fill up.

Are you getting any codes? PO463 or something?

Thanks for the reply. No codes, constantly on empty.

Constant empty points to a wiring problem.
Mine was intermittent stuck on empty. A can of Seafoam fixed it immediately.
20 consecutive starts now, with zero gauge failures.

Thanks for the reply. Gauge was intermittent several times then went to empty. Tried the sea foam first but had no effect. Wiring runs around hard to reach places.

Thanks for this information. Very Helpfull!

TSB applies to build dates before 5/20/02.
Month and year listed on door sticker, or specific date using FordEtis by VIN (Click vehicle)
Good luck!

FordEtis home page

Best to follow Number Twelve's advice first anyway. Wiring kit was over $150 WHEN it was available. I had the same issue for the first few months after buying my ST used at 46k. Unlike yours always reading empty mine was similar to Number Twelve's being intermittent. Mine stopped after replacing the original battery. These trucks are notoriously finicky with faulty batteries, wouldn't hurt to have yours bench tested, even if you're not experiencing other electrical gremlins.

Fail!:frown:
After 22 consecutive, proper operations of the gas gauge, I filled the gas tank and got a zero on the gauge.:confused2:
Then I thought, "I ran the tank down to 12 gallons so 12 ounces of Seafoam would accomplish 1 ounce per gallon, as the label says to do. Therefore, the top 1/4 of the sender was not covered with Seafoam mixture." :banghead:

So I added more Seafoam and topped up the tank tonight. Maybe that will get Seafoam on the top 1/4 of the sender.:dunno:
Right now the mixture is 27 ounces of Seafoam in 22 gallons of gasoline. :)

If that doesn't work, I'll have to do the can opener job after paying for 3 cans of Seafoam.:(

:rant:I can't run with a Check Engine light on just for a gas gauge failure because you can't tell if there are real (relevant) engine problem codes under the nuisance nag. I'm just grateful the computer in this car sends the same priority signal for a gas gauge as it sends for a problem that could hurt the engine...not.:rant:

Ford buddy : P

Look at that front page thread about How I fixed my stuck fuel gauge. Even if you don't have to use a can opener on it, there are hints about diagnosing.
How I solved the stuck fuel gauge on my 05 Explorer
Look at that front page thread about How I fixed my stuck fuel gauge. Even if you don't have to use a can opener on it, there are hints about diagnosing.
How I solved the stuck fuel gauge on my 05 Explorer

Your write up was informative. I unplugged a connector (C4037) and found a broken wire on the connector side that runs towards the rear. Several wires had worn through due to its rubbing against the frame. The wire was red with yellow. I spliced in a new piece of wire but it didn't fix the gas gauge. Is there a resource that indicates what this connector feeds too Also ran the setup/ test. I don't understand what the numbers mean. Would you know if the sender unit wiring is a straight run to the gauge. Again, Thanks.

You should come across Fuel Level. Values are 0 to 255. (8 bit system) 0 meaning empty, 255 meaning full.

Your write up was informative.
That wasn't my Thread. I just pointed to it because it's a good piece of information.

Back