Sloshing sound with full tank | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sloshing sound with full tank

It’s probably just fuel flowing over the top of the baffles. If a baffle was broken, and flopping around your tank, you’d know it. It’d also get worse the less fuel you had.

I found this on the internet do you think it's possible this could be the same problem with the 2020 Explorer?

https://ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/18-2003.pdf

If the straps are permitting too much movement of the tank, it can amplify the movement of the fuel which would create larger waves in the tank or would create waves in the fuel that collide excessively with each. Both would lead to sloshing around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be that I just noticed it, but it started happening right after I over filled the gas tank. The auto stop feature on the gas filler was broken so I filled manually. I think I have may overfilled it.

For those who hear this noise, have you ever overfilled your gas tank?

I found this on the internet do you think it's possible this could be the same problem with the 2020 Explorer?

If the straps are permitting too much movement of the tank, it can amplify the movement of the fuel which would create larger waves in the tank or would create waves in the fuel that collide excessively with each. Both would lead to sloshing around.
Nice find Ricky. It could be the same issue.

Peter

I think this is a strong possibility. I’ll bring it up to my dealership. Thank you!

I found an easy way to hear the sloshing noise without driving the car. I just filled my gas tank, and if you rock the car back and forth from the left rear you can hear the liquid moving back and forth quite audibly. I've also been driving in the rain the last couple days, so haven't ruled out water being trapped somewhere.

I’ve been driving a lot with AC off recently and it’s quite pronounced. I notice it will slosh a couple times over a few seconds after an abrupt stop. It’s really pronounced with the engine start-stop function enabled.

My service advisor’s trying to pawn this off as normal, and that his “07 Mustang makes the same noise.” But if that’s the standard for a brand new vehicle I may need to find a different service center.

Anyone else notice the sloshing gas noise with a full tank? I have a loaded XLT.
I just purchased 2020 XLT and I'm hearing sloshing sound when braking/stopping. Did you ever figure out what it was?

Im glad I found this thread. I’m experiencing the exact same problem. I’ve been in and out of the service department and they’ve narrowed it down to something fuel related but can’t pinpoint it. They filled the tank and noticed it did it worse when full. I agreed. They told me to take it home and drive it until the tank is below 1/4 and bring it back... I’m calling Monday to make another appointment. We’re onto something here, I’ll keep you posted. On another note, any suspension noises? I’m noticing a thud sound when going over smaller, sharp bumps.
Any luck finding out what was going on with sloshing sound/fuel related problem? I just purchased my Explorer XLT and noticed this sound. This is the 5th Explorer I've owned throughout the years and none of the previous ones had any "fuel sloshing" issues. Can't imagine it's normal.

Anyone else notice the sloshing gas noise with a full tank? I have a loaded XLT.
Yes, I too have an all optioned XLT, and hear the sloshing noises.

It is probably water trapped inside a near door.
Stick a probe into the lower drain holes at bottom of door to release the water.
You may want to rinse the interior by introducing additional water to fully flush the interior.
Add water the same way it got in by sticking a small wedge or two between the glass and
door seal. Please don't reply if this works, as someone may think I actually know something.

If you read back through the thread, I think you'll find that it isn't a water issue. The noise seems to depend on the amount of fuel in the tank. The fuel tank is located on the driver's side and not at the rear. FYI, I've never noticed this with my 2020 Aviator.

Peter

Haven't noticed this sound on our 2020 Explorer ST...

It definitely appears to be more noticeable when you first buy the car, but I completely forgot about it until I saw this thread again. Not sure if the problem went away, will have to listen for it again.

Anyone check the parts diagrams to see if there is a tank sound insulator....

It's a long shot but the tank could be missing the baffle inside to stop sloshing.

Just noticed it today in my 20 XLT. Filled it up for the other day for the first time. Did not overfill or anything. I'll be honest, I didn't notice it until I was listening for it (radio/AC off). I guess I will keep an eye on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

............................................................. I guess I will keep an eye on it.
Better to keep an ear out for it. :D

Peter

Back