Slotted and/or Drilled brakes discussion thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slotted and/or Drilled brakes discussion thread

Napalm

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
well ok information then.

why drilled or even slotted rotors vs today's modern ceramic pads.

the adage of drilled rotors started as a way to allow gasses built up under heat and pressure of braking with older style asbestos based brake pads - they would develop gasses as the asbestos literally burned off the pad base. since machining is expensive or it was in the 70's - it was easier to drill through the rotor face. to drilled rotors performed better under intense operation because they allowed venting.

As pads moved to more ceramic based compounds - the gassing situation went away - but with it came dusting. And more importantly glazing - glazing is where the ceramic compound started to get hot enough to re-melt (for want of a better term) and melds into a new smoother surface. some people call it glassing over since older pads when over heated literally looked like volcanic glass. Thus as CNC machineing got to be less expensive then designed to prevent this started forming up milled slots in the face of the rotor - but doing away with the drilled holes. Why - the holes were often small enough they would pack with dust and thus be worthless. The slots however allowed a contiuous hole down the face to pad interface to let the dust fall out of, while at the same time creating a edge gap that would wipe the pad surface. Thus preventing glazing.

Over time ceramic pad compounds got stronger such that they could tollerate the forces with groves in the face - note how modern pads tend to have a center groove.

This grove performs the same dust release feature - without requiring special rotors. Glazing - well with the new compounds came higher heat tollerances and better stability so modern pads don't glaze often and when they do it's not in solid sheets as before. so the glazing breaks off easier.

Thus with modern pads - drilled rotors and slotted rotors aren't nearly as advantageous. As opposed to the potential for cheap designs being out of balance, or major removal of material. Since the brake rotor is a heat sink be wary of large holes or large slots - they will take quite a bit away from the rotors ability to wick the heat away and create hot spots.

In the meantime smaller slots with a proper pattern do work rather well in extreme use - mostly track events. And they work will with special pads that often miss the middle center evac slot and are track rated for high temp. But you don't see those very often, usually specific applications like a porsche RS3.

So let's talk ultimates - Aircraft. Aircraft with steel brakes, and yes they do still exist - do not have drilled holes in them. it takes away from the heat capacity and weakens the rotor. But they can have slots in them - as will the pad rings. Same reason as above - dust evac. And even newer carbon brakes (most aircraft made after 1994) tend to also have slots. again dust evac.

So in my tracking days I used to roll with DBA (disc brakes australia) slotted only rotors and some track pads on my Holdens. Often I used Porterfield pads.

For daily driving I'd trade the track pads out for a mild street pad since track pads don't often work great when cold. My DD pad was whatever Ceramic pad I could get cheap with a quality name on it. Often Wagner Thermo-Quiets (what I roll now) or Hawk Ceramics.

I'd highly suggest the same on ANY vehicle driven on public roads. DO not use track pads on a daily driver if you can help it.

On rotors I hate CENTRIC rotors - chinese made crap - but I am very picky. And if you're paying attention that also means I hate STOPTECH rotors too. (owned by centric and also chinese made crap in a new box)

Again I'd highly recommend either plain or slotted only - if you just have to have drilled then get the smallest holes you can find.

ALso let me settle some other internet mythos right now - unless specifically made for a unique device or very thin rotors - there are no "CAST IN HOLES" in rotors - with iron alloys it would lead to porosity (holes in the substrate) which would lead to cracking and bits coming out.

notice I said specific application or very thin rotors - some motor cycle rotors do have cast in holes.

Now let's talk about the other bits of your brake system - the brake fluid and lines specifically - now I thought I read 2014 explorer - thus 2 years + old. I highly recommend while trading rotors etc - flush out your brake fluid with new. you don't need the expensive race stuff like MOTUL 600 - but for DD use I like the valvoline syn brake fluid - works great and cheap.

Flushing out the system will let the pipes and the ABS modulator live a nice long happy life - and more importantly restore your fluid boiling point - which reduces fade.

Good luck and have fun. OH one more thing - when replacing the rotors put a light coat of antiseize on the car's hub face - it will make the next removal a snap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why? Why do you want upgraded rotors? Are you getting brake fade? Are you tracking this SUV? Doing autocross events? Do you even know the main reason for cross drilled and slotted rotors? I'll give you a little hint......it's NOT heat mitigation.

LOL, pissed off much?

well ok information then.

why drilled or even slotted rotors vs today's modern ceramic pads.

the adage of drilled rotors started as a way to allow gasses built up under heat and pressure of braking with older style asbestos based brake pads - they would develop gasses as the asbestos literally burned off the pad base. since machining is expensive or it was in the 70's - it was easier to drill through the rotor face. to drilled rotors performed better under intense operation because they allowed venting.

As pads moved to more ceramic based compounds - the gassing situation went away - but with it came dusting. And more importantly glazing - glazing is where the ceramic compound started to get hot enough to re-melt (for want of a better term) and melds into a new smoother surface. some people call it glassing over since older pads when over heated literally looked like volcanic glass. Thus as CNC machineing got to be less expensive then designed to prevent this started forming up milled slots in the face of the rotor - but doing away with the drilled holes. Why - the holes were often small enough they would pack with dust and thus be worthless. The slots however allowed a contiuous hole down the face to pad interface to let the dust fall out of, while at the same time creating a edge gap that would wipe the pad surface. Thus preventing glazing.

Over time ceramic pad compounds got stronger such that they could tollerate the forces with groves in the face - note how modern pads tend to have a center groove.

This grove performs the same dust release feature - without requiring special rotors. Glazing - well with the new compounds came higher heat tollerances and better stability so modern pads don't glaze often and when they do it's not in solid sheets as before. so the glazing breaks off easier.

Thus with modern pads - drilled rotors and slotted rotors aren't nearly as advantageous. As opposed to the potential for cheap designs being out of balance, or major removal of material. Since the brake rotor is a heat sink be wary of large holes or large slots - they will take quite a bit away from the rotors ability to wick the heat away and create hot spots.

In the meantime smaller slots with a proper pattern do work rather well in extreme use - mostly track events. And they work will with special pads that often miss the middle center evac slot and are track rated for high temp. But you don't see those very often, usually specific applications like a porsche RS3.

So let's talk ultimates - Aircraft. Aircraft with steel brakes, and yes they do still exist - do not have drilled holes in them. it takes away from the heat capacity and weakens the rotor. But they can have slots in them - as will the pad rings. Same reason as above - dust evac. And even newer carbon brakes (most aircraft made after 1994) tend to also have slots. again dust evac.

So in my tracking days I used to roll with DBA (disc brakes australia) slotted only rotors and some track pads on my Holdens. Often I used Porterfield pads.

For daily driving I'd trade the track pads out for a mild street pad since track pads don't often work great when cold. My DD pad was whatever Ceramic pad I could get cheap with a quality name on it. Often Wagner Thermo-Quiets (what I roll now) or Hawk Ceramics.

I'd highly suggest the same on ANY vehicle driven on public roads. DO not use track pads on a daily driver if you can help it.

On rotors I hate CENTRIC rotors - chinese made crap - but I am very picky. And if you're paying attention that also means I hate STOPTECH rotors too. (owned by centric and also chinese made crap in a new box)

Again I'd highly recommend either plain or slotted only - if you just have to have drilled then get the smallest holes you can find.

ALso let me settle some other internet mythos right now - unless specifically made for a unique device or very thin rotors - there are no "CAST IN HOLES" in rotors - with iron alloys it would lead to porosity (holes in the substrate) which would lead to cracking and bits coming out.

notice I said specific application or very thin rotors - some motor cycle rotors do have cast in holes.

Now let's talk about the other bits of your brake system - the brake fluid and lines specifically - now I thought I read 2014 explorer - thus 2 years + old. I highly recommend while trading rotors etc - flush out your brake fluid with new. you don't need the expensive race stuff like MOTUL 600 - but for DD use I like the valvoline syn brake fluid - works great and cheap.

Flushing out the system will let the pipes and the ABS modulator live a nice long happy life - and more importantly restore your fluid boiling point - which reduces fade.

Good luck and have fun. OH one more thing - when replacing the rotors put a light coat of antiseize on the car's hub face - it will make the next removal a snap.

nice info! all seems logical. i would still be curious as to why almost all ultra high performance vehicles have drilled and sometimes slotted/vented rotors. even the new ceramic rotors are drilled on the newest of super and hyper cars. there has to be some advantage or science to it. I would say at the top of the list would be heat!

F1 cars use neither drilled nor slotted rotors/brakes. Maximum rotor thickness is 28 mm (1.10 in.). I don't think many vehicle rotors get as hot (glowing) as the F1s do.

Peter

You gotta love the solid vs slotted vs drilled rotor argument. It'll never die.

In this thread on Corvette forum, the first post eludes to an SAE paper written on the subject. I haven't paid the $150 to read the paper, but if I remember correctly, the Reader's Digest is something to the effect of slotted is the best followed by solid followed by drilled:
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-rotors-vs-slotted-rotors-engineer-test.html

I don't recall if a guy named James Walker Jr contributed to that SAE paper or not, but James has written a book (and several articles) on braking systems. He's sort of the Billy Badass in the braking system world.
You can check out some sample pages of his book here:
http://www.teamscr.com/the-book/sample-pages-pdf.html
Or buy it here (it's only $15):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1932494324

Here's a great article he wrote on what stops your car:
http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/pulpfriction/pfpage1.html
and he mentions rotor design (there's a link to a "sidebar")

nice info! all seems logical. i would still be curious as to why almost all ultra high performance vehicles have drilled and sometimes slotted/vented rotors. even the new ceramic rotors are drilled on the newest of super and hyper cars. there has to be some advantage or science to it. I would say at the top of the list would be heat!

I hate to sound all dooshy but name one built in the last 5-10 years.

Those few AMG's - supposedly for looks. the C63 black editions with the performance options (if you can image more options on an expensive merc) come with solid rotors. the basic AMG - pin hole drilled. last I checked.

new ones - solid.

porsche 911 RS3 last I checked in 09 prior to offering carbon, IIRC offered slotted.

when I raced I saw few people running drilled.

now going back - like 15+ years. yes drilled was still a thing because of the pad compounds of the 80's.

slotted is still the ultimate, IMO - but only with the right pads. nothing wrong with solids.

there is alot to say about the actual rotor make up itself. IE the metallurgy and it's internal structure. rather the fin design. Something I think DBA seems to excel at is the airflow through the rotor with their fancy fin design.

cheap rotors regardless of face surface - tend to not work well regardless. uniform castings with uniform heat flux (the flow of the heat through the geometry in basic terms) work far better - thus why some rotors do cost a good bit. And yes this is where Carbon pile excels.

Lots of Mercedes. My friend's 2012ish C300 has drilled rotors.

But I'm confident it's all about the "sporty" look.

I put DBAs with Hawk LTS on my Explorer:
1d850f8335b29490842b305789ac4956.jpg

You can see the difference in vanes structure between the stock type rotor (for a 96 Cherokee Dana 30) and the DBA rotor:
e35c8b137c090ec0aa9a60aa07437560.jpg

2aa321919061ee88ce3712222b52e894.jpg

Every other car I've owned has had solid rotors with some decent pads. Hawk or EBC typically. I had the top end Duralast Ultra Cmax's for awhile and really didn't like them- that first application of the brakes after some highway driving always felt like I wasn't going to stop. Once they got some heat in them, they seemed to be fine though. But slow moving on 4wd trails, there was times that I was unable to stop when I wanted or hold my position on a rock.

Those few AMG's - supposedly for looks. the C63 black editions with the performance options (if you can image more options on an expensive merc) come with solid rotors. the basic AMG - pin hole drilled. last I checked.

new ones - solid.

porsche 911 RS3 last I checked in 09 prior to offering carbon, IIRC offered slotted.

when I raced I saw few people running drilled.

now going back - like 15+ years. yes drilled was still a thing because of the pad compounds of the 80's.

slotted is still the ultimate, IMO - but only with the right pads. nothing wrong with solids.

there is alot to say about the actual rotor make up itself. IE the metallurgy and it's internal structure. rather the fin design. Something I think DBA seems to excel at is the airflow through the rotor with their fancy fin design.

cheap rotors regardless of face surface - tend to not work well regardless. uniform castings with uniform heat flux (the flow of the heat through the geometry in basic terms) work far better - thus why some rotors do cost a good bit. And yes this is where Carbon pile excels.

Napalm, in the post from Edub, he says, "hyper and super cars". None of the cars you mention are in this class. For example the Porsche 918 Spyder has cross drilled ceramic rotors, and is a full fledge hyper super car.

I have slotted/cross drilled on my Saab. Got them when original rotors saw their day. Did it solely for appearance. I think they look cool. As posts have stated. Does nothing for performance.

Napalm, in the post from Edub, he says, "hyper and super cars". None of the cars you mention are in this class. For example the Porsche 918 Spyder has cross drilled ceramic rotors, and is a full fledge hyper super car.

Really? I've never seen a 918 in person so I don't know.

I know the Agera R and the 1:1 are both solid carbon (that's a crazy vehicle right there)

Not sure about the new mclaren but again - would be the first I've heard of drilled carbon rotors.

off to research.

Really? I've never seen a 918 in person so I don't know.

Yes, for sure. I've driven one several times on the track. Amazing car.

Other hyper cars like La Ferrari and the McLaren P1 are also cross drilled ceramics.

i can guaran damn t you they are not drilled on the hyper car holy trinity (Mclaren P1, LaFerrari, 918) for marketing!!!!! That is a fact.

Also, Agera R and 1:1 are both drilled.

https://www.google.com/search?q=age...kfj9acMDM:&usg=__hg2dbEpgCEJUqAWWuEBIquKf0fk=

https://www.google.com/search?q=koe...r_YBCu_SM:&usg=__gpZIuuov7J9_e22zk-zlZQutfLE=

There HAS to be a reason related to performance. Of course a Ford explorer will not realize the benefits like these vehicles, but to say there is NO benefit whatsoever cannot be true. IT has to mitigate heat, gases, etc. albeit minimal, it is doing something.

just did a brief ggogle search. almost all brembo factory supplied brakes are slotted and or drilled. audi RS series vehicles, porsches, ferraris, C7 corvettes, Camaro Z29/ZL1, etc. it actually seems the norm on high performance vehicles, not the exception!!!

Yes, for sure. I've driven one several times on the track. Amazing car.

Other hyper cars like La Ferrari and the McLaren P1 are also cross drilled ceramics.

show me a picture. sorry but goole and mclaren's website say other wise. The brakes are a carbon-silica ceramic that is slightly unique or it was, but in no case is the rotor drilled or have holes in them. If they do they are very very small.

I will say they look a touch shinier than others.

Now the McLaren uses the brake vectoring system, but that's a whole other flavor of voodoo. Call it stability assistance version 6.0

i can guaran damn t you they are not drilled on the hyper car holy trinity (Mclaren P1, LaFerrari, 918) for marketing!!!!! That is a fact.

Also, Agera R and 1:1 are both drilled.

https://www.google.com/search?q=age...kfj9acMDM:&usg=__hg2dbEpgCEJUqAWWuEBIquKf0fk=

https://www.google.com/search?q=koe...r_YBCu_SM:&usg=__gpZIuuov7J9_e22zk-zlZQutfLE=

There HAS to be a reason related to performance. Of course a Ford explorer will not realize the benefits like these vehicles, but to say there is NO benefit whatsoever cannot be true. IT has to mitigate heat, gases, etc. albeit minimal, it is doing something.

So I asked around - yes the agera R brakes have holes in them supposedly to help evac carbon dust.

The 1:1 has the similar brakes but I must say I sure didn't notice them when I saw one at Sebring this summer.

again a slotted rotor would do the same - in the case of a carbon ceramic those might actually be die cast in. Odd they wouldn't attempt to put slots in.

Some aircraft carbon brakes are slotted.

edit again - so poking around the ferrari system and the porsche system are from Brembo. Not sure who makes the Koenigsegg system. The hole patterns seems to also want to bend around a vein in the rotor so I'm going to assume the same function - venting dust.

also looked into the last few years of F1 brakes - all appear to be solid and not drilled.

In cases like these hyper cars with holes in their rotors, since their rotors are so HUGE, the holes my also be for weight savings. The pad area is massive so they can give up some rotational mass by putting some holes in the rotors.

Plus they look cool.

In cases like these hyper cars with holes in their rotors, since their rotors are so HUGE, the holes my also be for weight savings. The pad area is massive so they can give up some rotational mass by putting some holes in the rotors.

Plus they look cool.

Thought about that but consensus was that the rotors being carbon/ceramic aren't as heavy as Iron/steel and the holes seem too small for that much difference. especially for the vane (I speeld that wrong up above) depth.

might as well open up the hub.

but I do wonder if maybe it was for looks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

interesting.

Back