• Register Today It's free!

Slow crank to no crank

cratz1990

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
So here’s what I got going on. 2014 Ford Explorer XLT. Sat for about a week, ran perfect before that. Get in it and it’s a slow weak crank and does not start. Figured it was battery so I changed it. It began to slow crank again then no crank. Volt meter said 12.3 on my battery. Throwing several error messages like “check battery charging system” “parked on an incline” “low gas” (it has half a tank). Check engine light is on but there’s no code when hooked to code reader. Next step I took we replaced the starter. Hooked it all back up and same issue except there’s no crank and the starter is clicking as if it’s getting juice. Volt meter says 11.4 v on the starter. Checked fuses. Grounds are connected with slight corrosion but nothing crazy. Would appreciate any help at all with this one lol. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So here’s what I got going on. 2014 Ford Explorer XLT. Sat for about a week, ran perfect before that. Get in it and it’s a slow weak crank and does not start. Figured it was battery so I changed it. It began to slow crank again then no crank. Volt meter said 12.3 on my battery. Throwing several error messages like “check battery charging system” “parked on an incline” “low gas” (it has half a tank). Check engine light is on but there’s no code when hooked to code reader. Next step I took we replaced the starter. Hooked it all back up and same issue except there’s no crank and the starter is clicking as if it’s getting juice. Volt meter says 11.4 v on the starter. Checked fuses. Grounds are connected with slight corrosion but nothing crazy. Would appreciate any help at all with this one lol. Thanks in advance!
Corrosion could definitely cause that also I like to see a fully charged battery between 12.4 12.6

corrosion can do that clean the terminals etc

Terminals look good. Just the ground wires showing a bit of corrosion. I’ll clean those and see if it changes anything. I’ve also been reading that some battery cables might be corroded on the inside with no signs on the outside. But it seems like I wouldn’t get any juice to the starter if the cables were shot on the inside. Volt meter says 11.4 v on the starter.

Terminals look good. Just the ground wires showing a bit of corrosion. I’ll clean those and see if it changes anything. I’ve also been reading that some battery cables might be corroded on the inside with no signs on the outside. But it seems like I wouldn’t get any juice to the starter if the cables were shot on the inside. Volt meter says 11.4 v on the starter.
Voltage too low imo

Voltage too low
i agree. I hooked up to jumper cables and my truck and waiting about 10 min. Tried starting it and it still wouldn’t crank. Then it stopped clicking entirely. Shifted it to neutral and it clicks super loud at the starter.

Hmm either bad starter or locked up engine I'm starting to think engine

Hmm either bad starter or locked up engine I'm starting to think engine
I really hope not but I’m starting to think so as well. Starter was replaced yesterday and no luck. Left my battery on the trickle charger all night and woke up to 0 volts on my battery. Something seems to be drawing without the key in the ignition

Found out my explorer won’t go into park. The shifter is in park but I can push the vehicle several feet. I was able to get the car into neutral and it tries to turn over but still slow and weak even with a jump box hooked up and boosting it.

Figured it out. Removed the linkage and was able to get the car into park. Still no change. I removed the serpentine belt and hooked it up to jumpers and my truck. Started right up. Shut it off immediately. Tried moving the alternator and it’s completely seized up.

Figured it out. Removed the linkage and was able to get the car into park. Still no change. I removed the serpentine belt and hooked it up to jumpers and my truck. Started right up. Shut it off immediately. Tried moving the alternator and it’s completely seized up.
Glad you figured it out

Back