• Register Today It's free!

slow ? egr tube woes

smegun

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
I have bogs for passing power there is inefficiency when hitting pedal I doubt it is the fuel pump because I have replaced mine with new unit have done most tune ups ex: plugs wires thermostat pvc maf clean new alternator platinum dubl platinum seafoamed clean upper egr

truck runs good at times until my makeshift patch pluging holes in my egr tube burn through (jbweld dosnt work for long but long enough to get the picture) after the truck settles with the brain and all its respiration and solid EGR tube the program will settle and it will burn the fuel correctly and excellerate more linearly and lose bad vibrations that simulate friction even get a little low gear tire spin

small holes in egr tube forces poor advance on fuel burn the brain kicks back and seems to run ruffer

it needs all the air it was designed for little margin for error currently im replacing the egr tube as above finding air leak that forces bad advances and passing excelleration delays

all worries of cat or electronics were not as effective as plugn some holes check your egr tube it shouldn't be blown air also make shure you vacume tree is tight ......maf clean air box clean vacume tree tight egr tube solid no exhaust leak at least before the cat correct pressure has to come back to the egr and sensor or change the flash and plug the egr somehow

someone post a link for 4.0 litre without egr I know the engine exists or similar brain flashes

:roll:

egr tube needs to be soaked a few nights with penetrating oil they shculd of made all that hardware out of brass it a nut worth commiting

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think EGR was introduced in 93. My 94 has it, the 92 didn't. You're better off just replacing the bad parts than trying to modify what you have.

I bet the cats are clogged causing the back pressure in the egr tube, thus blowing out the holes.

As mentioned above, you are better off fixing the egr system, the ECM requires it to work. I promise you will spend 3 times the money trying to eliminate it.

As mentioned above, you are better off fixing the egr system, the ECM requires it to work. I promise you will spend 3 times the money trying to eliminate it.
EGR started on 94 models. My 93 does not have it. My 94's did. Couldn't you replace the ECU with one from a 93 & disconnect the EGR & DPFE sensors?
Or make jumper wires for each sensor plug so the ECU thinks it's there & really not?

EGR started on 94 models. My 93 does not have it. My 94's did. Couldn't you replace the ECU with one from a 93 & disconnect the EGR & DPFE sensors?
Or make jumper wires for each sensor plug so the ECU thinks it's there & really not?

You "could" but you'd need a certain 93 ecm and harness, there are 3 possibilities for each transmission. 92 would not work because it is a 1 o2 sensor system-ecm.

Some 93 have one 02 sensor, some have 2, (94 has 2) some have batch fire injection ( 94 is sequential) , with and without egr-etc. Some have no cam sensor which the 94 does have, and even then it is a different plug on the sensor.
CA 93's do indeed have egr-look it up.

Then you'd need the upper intake with no egr, and some way to seal off the exhaust.

And still need to fix the cats

Getting a new egr tube seems a lot easier to me.

tail pipe putty third try
23 percent better everything with little hole plugged up on egr tube

cats backed up ?

Excellent post... answered most of my questions.

Back