Slow Fuel Fill Problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slow Fuel Fill Problem

help me i have a fuel fill problem

my 02 mountaineer seems to be having a simmiler problem as all of you the pump clicks off and it takes for ever to fill and i have checked all hoses still no fix any suggestions???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Double check your hoses. I checked mine once and missed the one that was the problem. Read back through this post and it will give you lots of info on this problem.

I know this is a bump of a really old thread, but I just had a 02 Explorer in my shop with this same problem. Went through all the checks here and still got no where. I ended up replacing the tank with a used one from a junkyard and now it works fine. Just wanted to pass along some info for anyone else having this problem.

Slow fueling

I have a 2005 Sport Trac. For the past year I have had slow fueling problems.

Today I dropped the spare tire, dropped the gas canisters, there are 2. The cross over air line was jammed full of charcoal. I vacuumed out all the lines and the canisters, remounted the canisters. There are only 5 bolts.

I filled up my tank in 3 minutes. Hope this helps someone.

yeh i notice if i get really low on fuel like the dummy light and chime going off that i struggle to fuel it if i get gas at a 1/4 and up i have no issues

Nice to see this thread come up. I have had this problem since day one and really havent bothered fixing it. If i held the nozzle out far enough to vent through the filler it would fuel up fine.

2004 explorer slow filling

I have been having this slow fill problem for a while, someone told me that the filters on top of the gas tank were clogged,and that I had to drop the tank. So I did and found a check valve on the filler neck on the tank kept the gas from coming out when the fill tube was disconnected, and on the models that burn e-85 there is a anti-siphon device on the metal end of the filler neck. Now if this check calve is getting gummed up it would cause this kind of thing. I have checked the filters and hoses and they a clear but I dont want to put things back together until I am sure I got the right thing fixed. I will be grateful for any help

I am hoping this resolves the issue with a 02 Sport version as well. I have a look when my son brings it over.

Thx

slow fill

I found the strainer in the hose, the hose connected directly to the tank and partially 4" up the hose had RTV and a plastic cap that seals dry gas bottle tops. I had the whole tank down and finally found that to be the problem, I believe it was caused from filling the tank with a gas can. check this first, you can disconnect this line and take it out even with gas in the tank because there is a check valve that holds the gas back, so its a pretty easy fix. good luck this is not a hard job.

Well we resolved the issue on the 2002 Sport today. That white elbow you show is black on these but it snaps onto a plastic plate and the end is visible from the inside of the filler area (upper left). Ours was plugged by a thick spider web!!! Yep dam spider done went and done it.

We picked it clear with some wire and I test blew in/out and it was fine. I had a gas can and it flowed without backing up all in now.

NOTE with a good flashlight you can see from the filler door area pretty good with the cap removed.

i been having same issues trying to figure out if the gas filler neck or vent tube it takes gas sometimes and then today i pump
gas and it shoot rite back out this is annoying so any help or info would be greatly appreciated

Your vent is clogged. In order for fuel to flow into the tank the air in the tank must be vented to make room for the fuel going in.

Your vent is clogged. In order for fuel to flow into the tank the air in the tank must be vented to make room for the fuel going in.

ok oka thanks alot so which one would i repalce also would i have to drop gas tank to do it

i cant see to post the pic i wanted to see which hose it is

The newest Explorer I own is a 2001, so IDK about on a newer model. On the 2001, there are 2 hoses that go from the fuel filler to the tank. The thinner of the 2 hoses is the vent hose. You may not need to replace the hose, just clear it.

ok i got pic i was trying to upload to show it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok i got pic i was trying to upload to show it

If you want to show pictures you must either be an Elite Explorer, or you can upload them to something like PhotoBucket and then copy and paste the IMG.

Back