• Register Today It's free!

Slow Start Long Crank 2016 XLT

Shandi

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2106 Explorer XLT
Hey guys, I haven’t looked into this yet at the dealership, just hoping to find similar issues and resulting repairs while avoiding paying $160 just to put it up at the dealership.

73,400 km 2016 Explorer XLT, garaged, regularly serviced. This week it’s been slow to start, cranking, not clicking (checked battery and connections). This morning when it finally did start, displayed Terrain Management System fault but the code was gone at next (again slow) start.

I’ve read about slow starts with other Ex that use E85; we have never used E85 so not fuel related either.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
First thought would be a bad/weak battery or possibly the starter.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. Tested the battery, and she’s great. I forgot mention that our fuel economy has gone to hell recently, as well. Thinking maybe water in the lines but was hoping to pick the brains of other owners who’ve had similar issues.

Although you are not near the recommended change, but have you checked the spark plugs?

Peter

Ahh, I didn’t even consider them because we’re not near the recommended change. Good thinking! Thanks again.

How did you check the battery? Just voltage or did you check the voltage as the starter was turning the engine over?

Both.
Whatever is happening is seriously affecting the mileage, as well. Next I’ll check the spark plugs. Then I guess it’ll have to go to the dealer.

I doubt the OP is still following. Last seen here on December 26, 2019. Another 'hit & run' poster.

Peter

Hey guys, I haven’t looked into this yet at the dealership, just hoping to find similar issues and resulting repairs while avoiding paying $160 just to put it up at the dealership.

73,400 km 2016 Explorer XLT, garaged, regularly serviced. This week it’s been slow to start, cranking, not clicking (checked battery and connections). This morning when it finally did start, displayed Terrain Management System fault but the code was gone at next (again slow) start.

I’ve read about slow starts with other Ex that use E85; we have never used E85 so not fuel related either.

Any ideas?
Slow to start = cranks slow or takes too long to start? The rail pressure might be leaking down. If it is slow in motion, low voltage or bad grounds, whether a starter bushing or cables have a bad connection. Check all your ground wires.

Back