Slowly Going Away | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slowly Going Away

My 1956 F100 is "rebodied" onto a 2000 Mountaineer, so I come here often to research tips. Tip and upgrades.

DSCN3855.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine still needs some TLC, but I'm never going to get rid of it. No questions asked. Everyone tells me its just a ford explorer, or that I could always buy another one, but all that does is motivate me to keep it.

(I'm debating whether or not I should put 31s on it or keep the stock 235s when I get new tires. My issue is it's the 4.0l OHV with a 5 speed auto that gets about 20mpg right now, I don't want to give that up. Plus I tow my 16.5ft boat with it).

I also might do a 302 swap one day when (and if) my 4.0 ever dies. I've already replaced the heads in it so it should be fine for a lot longer. My ultimate goal for it is to one day (probably in 15-20 years) put a ecoboost or small diesel in it. That'd be awesome mpg with more power than it has now so I can keep using it as a truck. That would be awesome!

2019-07-01 20.25.37.jpg

20190731_191445.jpg

20190604_125002.jpg

No
Not a lot of action in this forum anymore. Everyone is slowly moving on from the 2nd Gen X, and they are going away. I still see plenty on the road every day, but not too many people modifying them. I guess about everything has been done to them that can reasonably (and sometimes unreasonably) be done. Kind of fading away like the support from the J Body forums and parts did for my Raspberry Racer (it was purplish pink) turbo Cavalier back in High School. I'm not ready to move on yet.
Not much help in 2003 year range either many times no reply.

No
Not a lot of action in this forum anymore. Everyone is slowly moving on from the 2nd Gen X, and they are going away. I still see plenty on the road every day, but not too many people modifying them. I guess about everything has been done to them that can reasonably (and sometimes unreasonably) be done. Kind of fading away like the support from the J Body forums and parts did for my Raspberry Racer (it was purplish pink) turbo Cavalier back in High School. I'm not ready to move on yet.
Not much help in 2003 year range either many times no reply.

I have a Gen 2 and a Gen 4. The Gen 2 is a sport and I guess I planned to move on when I bought the Gen 4. Well, I am driving the Gen 2 every day in place of the Gen 4 and Jaguar XKR. I will admit that the motivation is that I am using the Gen 2 for the winter and as a sort of work truck so I dont get the others dirty. The Gen 2 is lifted with 32" tires on it. It is loud (3" exhaust), rides like a jeep and smells like gas...and I love every bit of it. This forum helps me keep it running and the excitement about it alive. I'm sure Gen 1 owners and all generation explorer owners might feel the same way. Keep the explorers and this forum running.

Mine still needs some TLC, but I'm never going to get rid of it. No questions asked. Everyone tells me its just a ford explorer, or that I could always buy another one, but all that does is motivate me to keep it.

(I'm debating whether or not I should put 31s on it or keep the stock 235s when I get new tires. My issue is it's the 4.0l OHV with a 5 speed auto that gets about 20mpg right now, I don't want to give that up. Plus I tow my 16.5ft boat with it).

I also might do a 302 swap one day when (and if) my 4.0 ever dies. I've already replaced the heads in it so it should be fine for a lot longer. My ultimate goal for it is to one day (probably in 15-20 years) put a ecoboost or small diesel in it. That'd be awesome mpg with more power than it has now so I can keep using it as a truck. That would be awesome!

View attachment 176069

View attachment 176070

View attachment 176072
Put a supercharger and bigger tires then keep your gas mileage :)

784A25DC-5FB4-46E9-900D-0FB6E98308C7.jpeg
Sad to say but my 05 X has passed away...would cost more to repair it than what i think its worth
Anybody looking for some 20” Adrenalin wheels??

I have 4 of them in my driveway not going anytime soon!

I see plenty of gen 2 and a few 1's here in Arizona. My 96 4x4 xlt tan with tan leather is going strong (well maybe) 174K on the clock and going for 200k. At 81 I might go before it does.

I'd fix it
What's a new or used Reliable truck cost

Just my ¢.2
I'm biased I love these trucks

I like to see the Gen 1 and Gen 2's still on the road and running. Aside from mine having some fender rust and rear main seal leaking. At 218,000 she is still going strong. I hope i can get at least 300,000 out of mine. My locality i'm sure wished mine would die so they could hit me with a higher tax bill....LOL
speaking of the cash for clunkers, i visit alot of junk yards and in the fall of 2018 there were tons of explorers, f-150's, and escapes. Majority were in good to better condition. It was sickening to see so many cars being wasted and destroyed due to cash for clunkers... Anything from excellent rims and like new tires to clean interiors.
Cash for clunkers also increased the used market car prices. ...

I just turned 200K on mine towing a 4500 pound trailer out to Rasor for the weekend. I am going to start looking in to motor options, thinking of a 347 stroker so the towing will not be 100% throttle as much of the time.

I am still trying to get mine up and running which I purchased some time ago. Just bought a 1997 5.0 PCM to swap into the 1998 to see if that fixes issues I had with the PATS system.

I don't think they're going away, I used to could get any 5.0 I wanted for less than $1,500. They're bringing so much here I V8 swapped my Eddie Bauer, which had a special value to me anyhow, and am likely getting ready to undertake restoring another 300K+ Eddie Bauer V8 I got offered for $500. Bit high for the truck, but I love building them and have the parts so why not, I'll have the total truck for $900. My 2000 I keep fixing because you can't beat a 2nd gen, for the price it can't be done.

Still here on the 3rd build now. Most of us moved to fb groups.
F014F188-03E8-4C89-B80C-D3B9ACC1BEFA.jpeg
FB3A4118-0EF1-44B5-97E5-8125EC9D267A.jpeg

4B86CC3A-0D71-4891-9E1C-42A4FDC57EF5.jpeg

I like that blue V8 truck a ton, went on an auction last week to buy one just like it but an Eddie B, then they didn't sell it. I post most of what I do picture wise to Instagram, couple of forum members follow me there, I'm 20, I enjoy the advice on this forum but don't use it enough to pay the money for Elite status, plus most 2nd gen owners I know even if they love the trucks, don't even know the forum is here.

I mainly hang in the 01-05 Sport Trac section but have had about 15 Rangers/Explorers/ ST's and a Mountaineer over the years. I have really liked the forum, lot's of good pictures and info that's easy to find. I do the FB group but don't like it as well as the forum. I still see a fair amount of these on the road but most are rough beaters. The moderators and Rick do a great job of keeping the form clean and friendly.

I'm hooked on the forums :D

Not going away here...

with thanks to this Forum!

These trucks just get tougher with time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shame they discontinued the 2nd GEN Sports, always liked how they looked, that's way I'll never get rid of mine. Just too attached.

Back