Slowly Going Away | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slowly Going Away

I do still see them on the road. but finding a 5-speed, 4x4, sport for sale has been effing impossible!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Then get a 4x4 auto Sport. Can probably find one cheap with a clapped out 4r55e, and get all the transmission swap parts fairly cheap.

I'm just trying to find one that already has it first, unless I find the right one that's in too good of shape to pass up then I'll go that route.

Not a lot of action in this forum anymore. Everyone is slowly moving on from the 2nd Gen X, and they are going away. I still see plenty on the road every day, but not too many people modifying them. I guess about everything has been done to them that can reasonably (and sometimes unreasonably) be done. Kind of fading away like the support from the J Body forums and parts did for my Raspberry Racer (it was purplish pink) turbo Cavalier back in High School. I'm not ready to move on yet.
That is not a problem for me. I don't plan on dumping any of my current drivers and as time goes on I'll be doing more mods to keep em on the road and in the hills.

There are loads of great 2nd gens in Arizona. Most folks don't realize that it may be more expensive initially to ship one across the country, but in return you are basically starting with a fresh body that can last many more years in the 4 season states.

There's nothing like looking under a 20 year old AZ rig with no undercoating and seeing nothing, but good paint on the underside.
Not a lot of action in this forum anymore. Everyone is slowly moving on from the 2nd Gen X, and they are going away. I still see plenty on the road every day, but not too many people modifying them. I guess about everything has been done to them that can reasonably (and sometimes unreasonably) be done. Kind of fading away like the support from the J Body forums and parts did for my Raspberry Racer (it was purplish pink) turbo Cavalier back in High School. I'm not ready to move on yet.

Still see 1st and 2nd gens on the road here in PA. I have two 1st gens, one a daily driver was donated to my work and no one knew what to do with it so I said I’d take it. Came from original owners garaged most of its life and has a tranny leak. Leaks only in summer, never fixed because I was looking to do manual swap. Use as my beach buggy and it’s real nice looking get comps all the time, white with blue interior in exceptional condition for its age.The second had shipped from California for $1100. Vehicle cost $200. Blown engine, had 5 speed with manual transfer case and manual hubs. Popped hood new radiator, ac, water pump, hoses, master cylinder, loaded with new parts. Body and interior not great but underneath was amazing. Decided to restore Cali Ex but converted my E-350 to 4x4 before the ex restoration.

I haven't begun yet. These 2nd gen Explorers are my newest Fords, I'm used to real obsolete Fords, and these aren't close yet really. You can still find these in JYd's.

I've got two Mark VII's, obsolete about 2001, and a 73 Ranchero that I was collecting parts for in 1988, before the Explorer was born. I now have four 2nd gens, three 302/AWD's, and one SOHC/A4WD that may one day be a 306/AWD. I'm not done yet either.

These 2nd gens are something worth collecting and if you find a cheap ragged one, I'm down for using it for a daily. I have a V8 Eddie I hand built, and have made mechanically perfect with 131K miles on the donor drivetrain, and I'm looking at building another with a 125K mile donor. I actually love the trucks, I have a 96 right now that's really clean for a 96, needs some paint and TLC, the transmission went south on it, really a shame but I'll find a good 4R55E soon enough.

I'm still hanging with my 99 Limited SOHC. Just got over an overheating issue with, apparently and so far, no serious damage beyond a water pump and thermostat housing. However, wish I had kept my 94. It was one of the best vehicles I have ever owned with 250k on it when we parted ways.

Love my white 99 shoc as well

I love my explorers. There so simple really to work on. The 5.0 is damn near bullet proof. The driveline as well. I bought a 99 last feb that had 99k miles on it. I’ll be driving a second gen for another 12-15 years based on the fact that my 01 has 265k on it.

Put a supercharger and bigger tires then keep your gas mileage :)

If I could find a 4.0 OHV adapter plate and had $2K laying around I totally would!

(Hopefully in a few years.....)

Death rattle initiated. As much as I would like to keep the truck, I think this may be the end, given the body rust and steering/suspension work that needs done as well, (I've been putting off ball joints and TREs for a while now). I really want to keep her, but because of the other issues I don't know if it's worth putting time and money into it at this point. Ideally I would like to find another 4x4 Sport that isn't rusted out, and swap my off road thingies into that, and do an stroker V8 swap (someday). But its the usual story, time and money... Sad day.

I’ve been in your shoes. Buy a nicer one, and you’ll never regret it. Rust free, everything else can be replaced.

Yeah. That's a tough proposition around here though. Getting a decent one. I've been looking and most a pretty high mileage, which means I'd end up needing to replace the tensioners and etc. Also I don't want a 4dr, I love my Sport, lol. That REALLY narrows it down.

Take a drive to a no rust state and buy one

I drove two hours to buy my Mounty sight unseen. You could probably find a really nice one that just needs a motor for under a grand.

I found my 1996 4dr XLT 4WD last november in the middle of Wisconsin... 42k miles, no rust, great shape, all original.

I probably paid more than most on here, but it is a solid "like new" vehicle and knowing how cheap all the parts are and how well they last, it was a worthwhile investment... With all the stuff I have done to it to make it "better" than new at this point I am still really happy (with the latest round of changes I think I am into it almost 50/50 in cost of the vehicle and the cost of the changes/upgrades).

Key for me is I am not one to really get rid of cars and with having to get rid of my conversion van last spring (it rotted out, no car washes were big enough for it around here, had 230k miles, but still ran/drove great, just maintenance was killing me with under-car rot-out) I needed something I could tow with (not often, maybe once or twice a year, if that, but still) and all my other cars are luxury sedans or sports cars and nothing is really "made" to tow (I don't trust more modern chassis stuff when wanting to tow 4000-5000lbs, such as with a 2017 Lincoln MKT).

The Explorer is most certainly heavy duty, full framed, made to do what I need it to, looks good, drives perfect, runs perfect and in general is "new" in most regards. Most certainly worth the investment to me. And the other benefit is I get to keep a ton of miles off the newer luxury cars (which I am CERTAIN are not made to go 200-300k like the Explorer is). I just need more garage space, as it is half are in the garage and half are outside.

I forgot to mention, I am so committed I actually have a shelf of "spares" already to go (hubs/CV axles/shocks/ignition stuff/balljoints/waterpump/alternator/etc) as a "just in case" in the future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a 95 Sport with manual trans and a 08 V8 4 door. The 08 will eventually become my work truck and replace the 95 one my better half gets a new vehicle. What are the Gen 2 sport models with close to 200K miles going for these days?

Back