SLS Oil Type

rvitek

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wauconda, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT 5.0
Hey all - I run 0W30 in my 5.0 XLT and since I love the performance of it so much, am thinking about putting this in my 4.6L Northstar SLS.

What do you think?

It calls for 10W30, but my X called for 5W20 and running 0W30 is no problem on it.

Oh yea, I know the numbers mean fluidity, but why does a 5W protect "better" than a 10W in the cold? And, why does a 10W protect "better" than a 5W in the hot?

Thanks!

Thinner weight oils

It has always been said that the most wear occurs at start up. The thinner the oil, the faster it gets up to the bearings at pressure. When the hydrostatic layer of oil does not exist, you are down to metal on metal wear which is prevented by anti wear additives containing zinc and phosphorous. These compounds have been reduced in recent years to extend the life of cat converters and extend oil life (cause people naturally don't change their oil). Additives that reduce friction tend to shorten oil life. So if you have less wear additives, you need to get oil up there faster. So dual weight oils give you the best of both worlds for a short while. Quick lubrication at start up and a heavier weight when hot. Unforunately these weights don't stay the same forever. The thicker weight tends to suffer from shear and becomes thinner. As long as you have reasonable oil change intervals, you are fine. 0W oils are fine to use. Just don't use them for extended drain intervals or you won't be getting the protection needed at highway speeds toward the end of its life.

Back