Small Business Software ???? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Small Business Software ????

CoryL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
As many of you know, CRL Customs is now a legal business. This week I will be looking for shop space and hopefully will find something affordable.

I've got a few computers laying around of which one I will format and start over on to use for the business.

I'm going to need some form of software to do invoices, etc., and was wondering what anyone out there used that is somewhat affordable?

Thanks,

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
I believe the most popular is Quicken and I know of a lot of people who use it and love it.

We have used One Write Plus for years without any problems. My boss tried to switch over to Quicken a couple of years ago, but couldn't get the hang of it. I guess he is just to used to what he has used in the past.

The one problem we have had is that we use an accountant every year to come in and do the taxes. This accountant (like most) is more familair with Quiken and not so familair with OWP. So, he uses a little more time, and money, to get through everything that would be easy for him to get to in Quicken.

Robb

CoryL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
So with the Quicken software I can design my own invoice to print out for people when they buy something and then keep a record of all the invoices?

Or is it merely for cash flows, balance sheets, financial statements, etc?

rpenner54

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
Quicken,
QuickBooks Pro,
Excel
MS Money.

All of the above have some good stuff for invoicing. QuickBooks Pro is one of the more common small business softwares for accounting/invoicing etc...

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
You can use Excel to invoices.

Good luck in your endeavour....

Xplodor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT 4x4
I use QuickBooks for my company 4Play Offroad in So Cali. It has a lot of great features as well, and is easy to set up. Your looking at $287.00 if you buy it.

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
I know of a program that is designed for shops, such as machine shops or weld shops, that might be of use to you. It keeps track of employee hours (if you have any yet). It keeps track of how long an employee worked on a specific job for a specific client. Keeps track of inventory, eqiptment maintence.. basically, the whole nine yards. Its called ShopWare. It's kinda pricey at around $3,000. My dad's hydraulic shop uses it, and I know the guy who wrote it.

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
Peachtree is another very common and easy software that has everything you need.

COMMOCOZY

Reaction score
City, State
Waukegan Il, 60087
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
Cory!

Call me at work tomorrow, I can hook you up.. I work at a Software reseller...

Austin

my number is 800-307-4107

pforbes

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
I know of a program that is designed for shops, such as machine shops or weld shops, that might be of use to you. It keeps track of employee hours (if you have any yet). It keeps track of how long an employee worked on a specific job for a specific client. Keeps track of inventory, eqiptment maintence.. basically, the whole nine yards. Its called ShopWare. It's kinda pricey at around $3,000. My dad's hydraulic shop uses it, and I know the guy who wrote it.
Google helped me find your message regarding Shopware and Peachtree. We use Shopware 4.0 and I can't get Peachtree to interact with Shopware. The Peachtree button isn't in the default setup window of Shopware.
How did you get it to work and can you connect me to that fella you know?

slpdave

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I would stay away from Peachtree if I were you, it seems to work fine when it is installed on only 1 machine. Set it up for a network use and watch out, works smooth for a while, then it breaks. I have worked at 2 different businesses that had major data loss after Peachtree broke. Go with Quicken or Quickbooks (quickbooks is what my accountant recommends).

BTW I am self employed, doing IT work and a Real Estate Broker. Due to my IT background I use Excel. but it requires much more effort in my humble opinion.

David

pforbes

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
It seems the problem is more with ShopWare at the moment. It was written for PeachTree yet I cannot get it to see PeachTree for some reason. I've done the usual removal, folder dumps and re-installs to no avail. Chargeguard doesn't seem to be much of a help as I've learned they no longer employ the fella who created it and the poor sap who's stuck with the file isn't an Acces guru.

pforbes

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
As many of you know, CRL Customs is now a legal business. This week I will be looking for shop space and hopefully will find something affordable.

I've got a few computers laying around of which one I will format and start over on to use for the business.

I'm going to need some form of software to do invoices, etc., and was wondering what anyone out there used that is somewhat affordable?

Thanks,

Cory
After learning that ShopWare actually comes in two flavours, one with Peachtree Integration and one without (guess which we ended up with), I'd like to introduce you to:

Service Advantage
http://jerseysoftwareinc.com/products.htm

It does quite a lot (Work tickets, Inventory, Dispatching, Networkable, Billing, and much more), has a short learning curve, isn't nearly as dear as SW, Ptree, doesn't need a Masters in bean counter, and has wonderful support.

Check it out.