luc

Reaction score
City, State
Salinas Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4WD
2016 XLT 4WD
Hi:

I have a 95 Explorer with the 4L engine and 160.000 miles on it.

I have a very small coolant leak (about a glass of water in 500 miles) that seems to be internal since I can't find any trace of a leak on the outside of the engine or radiator/hoses.

There is no water in the oil or tranny and the truck run great.

My dealer think that i have a craked head. I doubt it since usualy a craked head will allow combustion gas in the coolant and push back a lot of water in the overflow tank through the radiator cap

What do you think? intake manifold or heads gaskets?

Thanks.

Luc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How old is your radiator cap? It could be leaking by the cap in minute amounts and is a lot easier to fix than some of the other stuff.

its your heater control valve.... it leaks water onto your exhaust manifold and you will normally not see it on the ground.

The cap is fairly new ( 1 year old) + I did a pressure check ( 16psi) and I'm loosing pressure very,very slowly

Heater valve is fine (i did replace a leaking one a few years back),no leak from either the shaft, crimping or hoses, all dry with no sign of dried coolant

Are you sure the water pump seal is not leaking at all?

you definatly need to have the system pressure tested and or dye tested,

i know by experience intake manifold gaskets can leak without showing any oil contamination, but do yourself a favor try a dye and pressure test it will definatly put an end to your confusion good luck

Back