Small grey vacuum line problem. (Solved) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Small grey vacuum line problem. (Solved)

Old As Dirt

Reaction score
City, State
ROANOKE
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 XLT
I have a 4.0 2007 Explorer with the standard heater/AC unit. It is just starting to get warm here in Virginia and I had turned the AC on MAX (a black vehicle gets hot sitting in the sun) and when I started climbing the first long grade, the air vents seemed to shut down and the air seemed to become hot instead of the cold I had been getting. Later, after dropping the glove box, I pulled on and checked all the vacuum lines in that area, looking for a leak I seemed to hear from that area. After not finding a problem there or at the ball like reservoir near the toe area of the front seat passenger area, I moved out under the hood and traced the black and grey lines. The grey one was off the fitting where it hooks up to what I later found to be the coolant shut off valve near the alternator. Replacing this (and securing with a zip tie) cured the problem. I have read a lot since and could not find anything about this, but believe that this line is only activated when the temperature selector in the cabin is turned to cold and it's purpose is to turn off the hot water before it gets to the heater core during the cooling time. I had probably not noticed this problem while in the heating mode because I needed heat during that time. Posted to try and give others experiencing this problem a place to look.;)

I have a 4.0 2007 Explorer with the standard heater/AC unit. It is just starting to get warm here in Virginia and I had turned the AC on MAX (a black vehicle gets hot sitting in the sun) and when I started climbing the first long grade, the air vents seemed to shut down and the air seemed to become hot instead of the cold I had been getting. Later, after dropping the glove box, I pulled on and checked all the vacuum lines in that area, looking for a leak I seemed to hear from that area. After not finding a problem there or at the ball like reservoir near the toe area of the front seat passenger area, I moved out under the hood and traced the black and grey lines. The grey one was off the fitting where it hooks up to what I later found to be the coolant shut off valve near the alternator. Replacing this (and securing with a zip tie) cured the problem. I have read a lot since and could not find anything about this, but believe that this line is only activated when the temperature selector in the cabin is turned to cold and it's purpose is to turn off the hot water before it gets to the heater core during the cooling time. I had probably not noticed this problem while in the heating mode because I needed heat during that time. Posted to try and give others experiencing this problem a place to look.;)
Realize this is an old thread but I think I have the same exact problem now. I found the grey line just dangling. Where is this supposed to connect?

IMG_5891.jpg

Back