small skip nothing big but hesitant at 50 mph help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

small skip nothing big but hesitant at 50 mph help

Steven Sprayberr

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford sport trac
I have bought this truck about 3 days ago I love the truck runs great it has a v6 4.0 sohc I noticed a very small stutter or skip and it runs and shifts fine threw gears when my truck begins up a hill or even maybe a small slope at low rpms it has like a loss of power or almost like it doesn't down shift I can release the gas and automatically press the gas again and it will pick rpms up fine. I haven't noticed any shift problems other than this. This problem has only occurred to me at about 45 to 50 mph and suggestions or have any idea I am new to the forums and to this truck but I did have a ford ranger before this with same engine never had this problem with this but but was also a 5 speed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW no check engine light

I have called a couple of shops they want 95 or so an hour for diagnostic test where can I test this for cheap or free

As mentioned start by getting your codes scanned.

One thought I have is that Ford's transmissions tend to shutter when they need a trans service, check your transmission fluid to see if it smells burnt. It should also appear bright pink in color. If the fluid looks brownish or smells funny it definitely needs to be changed. If it looks good you could try something called "Shutter Fix". AutoZone and O'Reilly's sold it. It came in a small container/bag. Lucas Trans Fix is also good, but requires that you remove about a quart of the trans fluid before you can put it in (assuming the fluid level is currently w/in the normal range).

You might also install a new fuel filter if you not sure when it was changed last. Ford recommends every 30K.

Let us know what you find.

Same thing happened to my 03 trac and after about a year my trans went out.

Might be a small slip. Like they said above, scan for codes. I had a shift solenoid go out on me that wouldn't engage my torque converter properly. $20 for the solenoid, 4 qts of ATF and a couple hours of my time had my truck back on the road and functioning properly. Much better than paying for a new transmission like most shops tend to jump to.

Back