Smaller diameter spare wheel, what happens? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smaller diameter spare wheel, what happens?

fabianoliver

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montevideo - Uruguay
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Good morning, unusual question...
The truck I bought (XLT 94, manual) came with 4 x 16-inch wheels and 265/75/R16 tires.
However, the auxiliary one is 235/75/R15: a smaller diameter.
LA 365/75/R16, I think it does not fit in the space of the spare wheel.
What happens if I puncture and ride a few kilometers with a smaller diameter wheel?
That gives me a very bad impression...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good morning, unusual question...
The truck I bought (XLT 94, manual) came with 4 x 16-inch wheels and 365/75/R16 tires.
However, the auxiliary one is 235/75/R15: a smaller diameter.
LA 365/75/R16, I think it does not fit in the space of the spare wheel.
What happens if I puncture and ride a few kilometers with a smaller diameter wheel?
That gives me a very bad impression...
it would be ok but certainly not optimal. it would have bad effects such as traction differences etc, but if its only a few kms and if its kept slow, i suppose it could be ok. depending on the age of the spare maybe just change it anyways, since thats a rather big difference.

Hi Fix, txs
i got it. I've just read on some modern cars that has a smaller spare weel....i guess i'll attach the 235/75/15 on the truck, and take care if i need to use it, low speed, and short time, until i go back to something like 235/70/16...
thanks!!
i don't like it anyway...

ruedas comparativa diametro.jpeg

Hi Fix, txs
i got it. I've just read on some modern cars that has a smaller spare weel....i guess i'll attach the 235/75/15 on the truck, and take care if i need to use it, low speed, and short time, until i go back to something like 235/70/16...
thanks!!
i don't like it anyway...

View attachment 435045
afaik 365/75/16 is somewhere aroubd 38 inches... that compared to a 29" 235 is a big difference. so as such it could be done but is definitely not very advisable.

Fix, I typed bad: is 265/75/R16
Not 365
My bad
oh, ok! no worries that is somewhere around 31-32, so thats better than a 38 🤣 with that it could work for short distance low speed driving in that scenario, but if you replace it replace it with a 31x10.5x15 or comparable size that would be close enogh i think. or best yet same size.

If you have open diffs, it will make no difference, other than than ride quality. If you have a imited slip diff, it would not be so good. When I had a LS and then a locker, when I needed to use the spare on the rear axle, so I first took off a front tire and moved it to the flat rear, then put the smaller diameter up front.

Phew I thought we were talking about like 37" tires with a stock spare which is 29"
That would be a no go
but 265 vs 235 you will be fine

If you have a rear limited slip or traction device and you lose a rear tire, it would be absolutely best to put the spare on the front and use one of the front tires on the back. If you only need to go like 1-5 miles this is not a big deal

What happens is the truck will pull to one side or the other, easily corrected with steering input

YOU CAN FIT the 265 in the spare area just like Turdle said
265 came stock on the 99-01 trucks

Back