• Register Today It's free!

Smaller spare tire ok?

TBMounty50

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer 5.0
AWD is history and I'm thinking real hard about 3 inches of body lift and going from 31's to 33's. The largest spare I can fit in the stock location is a current size 31x10.50. Had to make some mods to fit that up in there so that's the biggest I can carry. Think it would be ok to drive short distances if needed with a 31" spare in place of a 33"? Maybe put the spare on the front to save the clutches in the limited slip?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By saying AWD is history, does that mean you got rid of it? If you got rid of it, for a BW4406, then there shouldn't be an issue. the main problem with different tire sizes is that each tire is then traveling a different speed, which is know to destroy the AWD Transfer case...

Yeah, I know it's definitely a no go on the AWD and yes 4406 is in place. Just wasn't sure if the 2" difference would be a huge deal. I would repair the wounded tire ASAP and I have a spare vehicle so all I would have to do is get home in worst case scenario. Just don't want to be without a spare. Now that I think about it, a lot of vehicles only have a tiny donut spare anyway. I also just chuckled to myself thinking about all the cars I've seen that are running with aforementioned donut about ready to pop itself. Some with multiple donuts!

Yeah, I know it's definitely a no go on the AWD and yes 4406 is in place. Just wasn't sure if the 2" difference would be a huge deal. I would repair the wounded tire ASAP and I have a spare vehicle so all I would have to do is get home in worst case scenario. Just don't want to be without a spare. Now that I think about it, a lot of vehicles only have a tiny donut spare anyway. I also just chuckled to myself thinking about all the cars I've seen that are running with aforementioned donut about ready to pop itself. Some with multiple donuts!

some driving 75 on the free way mergin around traffic lol.. doughnuts are rated for like 45 mpg and like 40 miles max.. and what about a full size spair on the roof rack? or in the back of the explorer like inside? but yes a smaller tire would be fine.. i would keep it in 2wd and keep it on the front though..

Keep one of these in the car as well as a selection of pliers.

!BjEYl9QCGk~$(KGrHqQOKiYEsnl66dL(BLR+ie3TIg~~_12.jpg

I put my 33" inside, but it is an off offroad truck. I would stay away from the roof. Have you tried letting the air out of a 33? I've seen guys put 35s under f150s by letting the air out. You would have to carry a small compressor to air it up while jacking and taking the other one off, but its a fullsize spare.

All great ideas guys. Plug kit does already go everywhere with me but not always a good cure. I don't want to put one in the back cause of my dogs and definitely don't want to wrangle a 33x12.50 off the roof of a lifted truck.

I just realized I'll have to buy another Cragar wheel in order to put the spare on the front. I put the 12" Sport rotors on the front a few weeks ago and my spare is on a factory steel wheel and won't clear the calipers. Dang.

I'll definitely try the air down of a 33" to see once I get that far but I have a Hidden Hitch that doesn't give me as much room under there. I really like that hitch. I do have an entire metal fab shop at my disposal and I'll have to do some mods to the hitch with the body lift anyway so maybe I can get some more clearance while I'm at it.

Thanks for throwing the ideas out there.

Swing out tire carrier?

X2 on the swing out !

But I know you get a lot more clearance without the hitch and removing the forward part of the spare tire guide. (Curved portion right above the dif) could possibly fit a 33 doing that.

X2 on the swing out !

But I know you get a lot more clearance without the hitch and removing the forward part of the spare tire guide. (Curved portion right above the dif) could possibly fit a 33 doing that.

Yeah, had to cut that part out already, just to fit the 31, due to the hitch. Swing out would be nice and convenient but...that would be tough to make.

Yeah, had to cut that part out already, just to fit the 31, due to the hitch. Swing out would be nice and convenient but...that would be tough to make.

I've seen guys make a reciever mount. Run the 33 when you wheel and long distance, 31 for DD.

I've seen guys make a reciever mount. Run the 33 when you wheel and long distance, 31 for DD.

I like that idea. Small spare could definitely be a problem if needed on the trail. I was only focusing on road use. How stupid of me to overlook busting one on the trail. I don't really get too deep off road, just playin on the farm and camping and stuff but still, good point.

Keep one of these in the car as well as a selection of pliers.

!BjEYl9QCGk~$(KGrHqQOKiYEsnl66dL(BLR+ie3TIg~~_12.jpg

I've only had one flat, and that was from popping the bead. A plug kit can't seat the bead, nor can a 12 volt compressor. :(

Back