Smart Key Programming on replacement Ignition switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smart Key Programming on replacement Ignition switch

whisperer

Historic
Reaction score
City, State
Bend OR - Hilo HI - Bel Air MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
:) Which one?
The ignition switch tumbler assembly is broken in my 98 Explorer sport and I need to replace it. That means the new key that matches the new tumbler will need to be re-programmed. Problem is that the old key will not then go into the new tumbler to do the on-board programming, and I only have one Smart key for the car anyway, the factory manual says I need 2 original Smart keys to do the on-board programming.

How do I get this job done? Is there another way I can get a new lock assembly and matching Smart key synced to my truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you do a search, I have not had the time yet, but if I find it I will put it up. I think it was expo 5.0 that did program a key only using 1 key. Now for the tricky part. If you remove your lock cylinder from the steering column the plastic ring that is around the cylinder can now be removed. This is the ring which the chip communicates with. Remove the ring and put the cylinder back in the hole but do not put the pickup ring back on the column yet. You should at this point be able to move the ring away from the new key and cylinder so it does not pick up the new key. Hold the old key at the ring, do the key turns with the new key then when it is time to program the new key hold the ring next to it so the new key is read. Come to think of it you may just be able to turn the ignition switch on and off with a screwdriver when the lock cylinder is out of the column. Hopefuuly this helps.

OK it was black magic who did it. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68728

Good Info

Thanks A Wise Guy. That thread got me moving in the right direction.

From here I think I can get a new lock assembly with the matching PATS key, have a copy of the new PATS key made at the local hardware store (without the chip), use the hardware store key to start the truck taping the original PATS key close on the column. Then I can drive it to the dealer and have them program the new PATS key (that fits the new ignition) and make me a few copies of the now-correct PATS key.

That is all if I can't get the new PATS key to progam with only the one original and turning the gutted ignition with a screwdriver. I will definately try that first.

Is there a way to defeat this whole thing at the module? Can I jump it out there? I think the PATS system is kinda' cool but if I loose the programming in the one key that matches the truck now while trying to get this done I'm going to be in real trouble as the dealer is many miles away. If I had to tow the truck in I can see them just charging me stupid prices.

If you remove the Pats pick up ring you can feed it down under yuor dash and away from the ignition switch where you have more room. Then you can pop the cap on the back side of the key, the cap may break, and pull the Pats chip out. It looks like a medicine capsule just smaller. Tape it to the Pats ring and burry it under the dash. Pats always has a chip for the computer, you can now use 99 cent keys and you do not have theft deterent any more.

where do i go to have a new key made for my 2001 ford explorer sport trac, i am in the process fo movikng and it has diasppeared:rolleyes:

i need a key for my 2001 fors explorer sport trac

Why not have a locksmith re-key a new lock cylindar to the old key?

I had to replace the ignition lock cylinder on my 03 Explorer LTD. I purchased this item from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FZ6F5XB/?tag=serious-20

Dorman 924-797 Ignition Lock Cylinder Kit with Programmer​

The kit included very clear step-by-step instructions, the lock cylinder fit perfectly, the new keys programmed correctly. Only one originally programmed key is required to program the two new keys in the kit. There's probably other ways to go about this fix, but none that are easier, and it was only $70.

Back