Smell of oil/antifreeze coming through vents when vehicle is stopped? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smell of oil/antifreeze coming through vents when vehicle is stopped?

pup5581

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Explorer Sport
So i have had this issue before..but it came and went so i never worried about it. Now that i took a new job and i commute daily in stop and go traffic it's always there now.

When driving you don't smell anything. But when come to a stop if the fan is on (no AC or rec) you start to smell burning oil/antifreeze from the vents. When start to move again it goes away. I had two people get in after i left it running and vents on high and the entire cabin you could defiantly smell it.

If i turn the AC on you really don't smell it at all when stopped and when shutting the AC off..it will take 10 or so min for that smell to work it's way back in. If I put recirculate on you don't smell it at all.

I had my PTU replaced a while back and it had a leak so i am wondering if something from that link got into wherever the truck drawers its air in from. I also notice this slight smell after a long drive and you get out and can smell it coming from the drivers side wheel well. I am bringing it in in the next few weeks for them to take a look. I had them look for leaks ect a while back after it was replaced due to the smell back then but nothing was leaking and when i got under there the other day there were no leaks. All dry. Just strange.

So i have had this issue before..but it came and went so i never worried about it. Now that i took a new job and i commute daily in stop and go traffic it's always there now.

When driving you don't smell anything. But when come to a stop if the fan is on (no AC or rec) you start to smell burning oil/antifreeze from the vents. When start to move again it goes away. I had two people get in after i left it running and vents on high and the entire cabin you could defiantly smell it.

If i turn the AC on you really don't smell it at all when stopped and when shutting the AC off..it will take 10 or so min for that smell to work it's way back in. If I put recirculate on you don't smell it at all.

I had my PTU replaced a while back and it had a leak so i am wondering if something from that link got into wherever the truck drawers its air in from. I also notice this slight smell after a long drive and you get out and can smell it coming from the drivers side wheel well. I am bringing it in in the next few weeks for them to take a look. I had them look for leaks ect a while back after it was replaced due to the smell back then but nothing was leaking and when i got under there the other day there were no leaks. All dry. Just strange.

How is the level of your coolant in your overflow tank, has it gone down? The following thread explains what a bad water pump can do, coolant mixes with the engine oil, etc.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424482&highlight=water+pump

Back