Smelling gas | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Smelling gas

Mazior R.

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Lim.
So I now actually noticed after a while that I smell raw gas outside the car and I can hear the fuel pump also. NOTHING LEAKING SO DONT JUMP ON ME. But does anyone know what that could be?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

974X4BLACKSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
hudson
Year, Model & Trim Level
BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
If you smell fuel anytime other then filling the fuel tank with fuel, you have a LEAK, somwhere.
Places you can check are:
1) fuel cap
2)fuel filter/fuel lines and connections
3) evap. canister
4)fuel rail shrader valve
5) inector o-rings

<

Mazior R.

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Lim.
If you smell fuel anytime other then filling the fuel tank with fuel, you have a LEAK, somwhere.
Places you can check are:
1) fuel cap
2)fuel filter/fuel lines and connections
3) evap. canister
4)fuel rail shrader valve
5) inector o-rings

Thank you, will look into it.

<

German Engineer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport 2WD
[/QUOTE]
Thank you, will look into it.
I know it's a bit of a pain to get to it, but if you can't find a leak elsewhere don't forget to check the pump assembly mounted into the top of the fuel tank.
That has a big seal and if someone replaced the fuel pump it might be an issue.
Hearing the fuel pump from outside the car is not all that unusual, especially if it's a cheap after market pump. But a bad old and reused seal that hasn't been replaced along with the fuel pump - or in the worst case even a missing seal - could potentially also be a reason for the noise of the pump being louder and more noticeable.

<

Mazior R.

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Lim.
I know it's a bit of a pain to get to it, but if you can't find a leak elsewhere don't forget to check the pump assembly mounted into the top of the fuel tank.
That has a big seal and if someone replaced the fuel pump it might be an issue.
Hearing the fuel pump from outside the car is not all that unusual, especially if it's a cheap after market pump. But a bad old and reused seal that hasn't been replaced along with the fuel pump - or in the worst case even a missing seal - could potentially also be a reason for the noise of the pump being louder and more noticeable.[/QUOTE]
Thanks

<