• Register Today It's free!

Smelling gas

Mazior R.

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Lim.
So I now actually noticed after a while that I smell raw gas outside the car and I can hear the fuel pump also. NOTHING LEAKING SO DONT JUMP ON ME. But does anyone know what that could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you smell fuel anytime other then filling the fuel tank with fuel, you have a LEAK, somwhere.
Places you can check are:
1) fuel cap
2)fuel filter/fuel lines and connections
3) evap. canister
4)fuel rail shrader valve
5) inector o-rings

If you smell fuel anytime other then filling the fuel tank with fuel, you have a LEAK, somwhere.
Places you can check are:
1) fuel cap
2)fuel filter/fuel lines and connections
3) evap. canister
4)fuel rail shrader valve
5) inector o-rings

Thank you, will look into it.

[/QUOTE]
Thank you, will look into it.
I know it's a bit of a pain to get to it, but if you can't find a leak elsewhere don't forget to check the pump assembly mounted into the top of the fuel tank.
That has a big seal and if someone replaced the fuel pump it might be an issue.
Hearing the fuel pump from outside the car is not all that unusual, especially if it's a cheap after market pump. But a bad old and reused seal that hasn't been replaced along with the fuel pump - or in the worst case even a missing seal - could potentially also be a reason for the noise of the pump being louder and more noticeable.

I know it's a bit of a pain to get to it, but if you can't find a leak elsewhere don't forget to check the pump assembly mounted into the top of the fuel tank.
That has a big seal and if someone replaced the fuel pump it might be an issue.
Hearing the fuel pump from outside the car is not all that unusual, especially if it's a cheap after market pump. But a bad old and reused seal that hasn't been replaced along with the fuel pump - or in the worst case even a missing seal - could potentially also be a reason for the noise of the pump being louder and more noticeable.[/QUOTE]
Thanks

Back