Smittybilt XL Rooftop Tent w/ Pictures | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smittybilt XL Rooftop Tent w/ Pictures

Just couldn't wait til it was installed to open it huh? lol

I was like a kid on Christmas morning once i got it home!
Yes it is the XL and I'm pretty sure they make an annex room for it, but that will come later on, along with all the other little accessories. Someone also suggested humidity packs to reduce/eliminate condensation inside when its closed, also a 1" memory foam layer. So those will probably come first.

Feels good to be in the elite Explorer RTT club! lol

Yeah, not all mattresses are created equally. One of the reasons I chose CVT. Foam topper Pads will help comfort, but the anti-condensation mat's underneath, will save them from water damage. That's a Need item.

The Silica packs tossed in there before closing back up, do help a little, but not a bunch. Best to open it up, lift the mattress, and let it air dry once back home.

Good to hear they are making the annex for the S-XL. Been a over a year since I researched that unit, and at the time, they did not make one for it. Annex is a game changer for these things.

Finally got the tent on the roof and i cant wait to use it! We all climbed in it and moved around a little and the stock rack held up with no issues (roughly 620lbs on the roof at that point)! Now all i need to do is fabricate a fairing.
20190309_120417.jpg
20190309_194528.jpg
20190309_194601.jpg
20190309_195144.jpg

Got the fairing done today...what a pain in the a$$ that was to do! But i am very happy with it.
20190318_174729.jpg
20190318_174845.jpg

Back