• Register Today It's free!

Smoke comming from Transmission

fatboy0186

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I was driving my X around today when I noticed something was burning. It smelled similar to an electric fan motor burning, not like motor oil. It's got an old clutch in it, so I am thiking my clutch is gone. Anyways, so I pulled the thing over and as soon as I got out, I saw a bunch of black smoke comming out of the front wheel well and under the drivers door. I popped the hood and saw nothing. Looked under the car and there was no more smoke. But there was a bunch of oil on the transmission and transfer case. And I don;t know if this is normal, but I could hear what sounded like oil boiling inside the transmission. Is my clutch going?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw a bunch of black smoke comming out of the front wheel well and under the drivers door. I popped the hood and saw nothing. Looked under the car and there was no more smoke. But there was a bunch of oil on the transmission and transfer case.

Are you sure you did not see any oil around the valve covers? They could be leaking real bad and running on the transmission and from the oil burning on the manifold would explain the smoke. You need to get a better look and pinpoint where the oil is coming from. We can't help if we cant see it.

Well, I had leaky valve cover gaskets for about 9 years and had much oil leak on to the exhaust. I have smelled that smell. I just replaced the valve gaskets about 3 months ago and I cann't see any oil leaking from there. The smell of this is different. It doesn't smell like it did when the valve covers were leaking. But there may be a leak that I have missed. I'm going to go check it out again.

Well, I can still smell the smell. I think it is somethig electrical. It is only coming from the drvers side wheel well, but I can't smell it under the hood or anywhere else. What could it be?

kandtholman,
No reason to start a new thread, I deleted it.

I am new to this forum and am used to helping people with problems on other car forums so sorry for the new thread, I was not trying to be an a useless thread starter. I am being serious not sarcastic.
Kurt

Back