Smoke on long idle.... EGR Valve??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smoke on long idle.... EGR Valve???

Pitt1717

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XSport
Mostly a lerker around here but now I need some help.

A week or 2 ago I was updating my sync system. during the update and long idle, my 17 Explorer Sport started to discharge blueish smoke (usually oil) out of the exhaust. After the update I took it for a ride and it took a good 4 to 5 solid minutes before it cleared up.
I drove it to work the next day and no issues seen or felt. seeing if it was a fluke, the next following day I came home from work and let it idle again. about 10-15 mins it started to smoke again. it seems like it only happens if it idles a long time.
so I take it in for an oil change and have them check it out. Along with a tie rod recall they now kept my car as they said I shouldn't drive it. They stated, if I heard correctly, that it is a faulty EGR valve.... Im not a mechanic but I believe this is what controls the exhaust gas going back into the cylinders. Not sure how oil would be getting through a valve to vent air.
anyway, my question and concern is my warranty is up in August (bought in 16). but looking at the warranty booklet, it states power train is good for 5yr/100000mi. Is this true? if so, I started reading up some on these turbos and seems (at least on the stangs) the seal sometimes goes bad and the affect is what I have seen.

If anyone can confirm and or help with what im seeing it would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about the smoking exhaust but regarding the toe links, there is no reason that you cannot drive the vehicle. The recall is to replace them with stronger ones. Apparently there have been a few that have broken. I've driven my 2017 for more than 2 1/2 years without incident and just had the recall done a month ago.
As for the Powertrain Warranty, it is 5 years, 60k miles or 5 years, 100k km.
Rear Toe Link Recall

Peter

I don't think the not safe to drive was due to the toe link issue but more the smoking exhaust. Not my safety, but the cars' I assume..... so if power train is 5/100k, and the EGR doesn't fix it than I should still be covered, right? so aggravated because I love this vehicle. one of my favorites that I have owned.

I don't think the not safe to drive was due to the toe link issue but more the smoking exhaust. Not my safety, but the cars' I assume..... so if power train is 5/100k, and the EGR doesn't fix it than I should still be covered, right? so aggravated because I love this vehicle. one of my favorites that I have owned.

As Peter stated, your powertrain is 5yr/60k. The 5yr/100k is for Canada (100,000 km... not miles).

If the EGR was faulty, I would expect a code.

With my old Mazda Speed6 (Turbo 4 banger), it was known that smoking during long idle was a sign of failing turbo seal(s).

If the EGR was faulty, I would expect a code.

With my old Mazda Speed6 (Turbo 4 banger), it was known that smoking during long idle was a sign of failing turbo seal(s).

Agree 100%... and as I said, some of the mustang boards (google hits) state similar experiences. Which brought me to the warranty, will the 5/100k powertrain warranty cover this?

Agree 100%... and as I said, some of the mustang boards (google hits) state similar experiences. Which brought me to the warranty, will the 5/100k powertrain warranty cover this?

Are you reading through all of our replies or just looking at the last reply? This is now the 3rd time we have said the powertrain is 5yr/60k.

Turbos are covered under powertrain.

Are you reading through all of our replies or just looking at the last reply? This is now the 3rd time we have said the powertrain is 5yr/60k.

Turbos are covered under powertrain.

sorry, should have been more explicit with my question. I got that the powertrain was what you stated. was wondering more about the turbo/engine parts being covered, which you just answered. thank you

It’s probably the PCV valve on the rear valve cover as the ‘17 Sport does not have an EGR valve.

Back