Smoke under hood when starting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smoke under hood when starting

raysum

Reaction score
93 Explorer, Smoke under hood when starting..help, please

I just tried to crank my 1993 Explorer and I got major amounts of smoke underneath my hood...uh oh!! I have disconnected my negative cable from my battery

Just to fill you in, I have replaced my battery with a new one and then I replaced my starter relay, is that my problem? Wiring problem with that? I would appreciate if someone could tell me how the 2 wires run to their relay.

The other question is, what have I done to my electrical system...

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kind of an dumb, obvious thing, but you put the + cable to the + terminal and the - to the -?

I believe I did. Obvious I know but for whatever reason I could have been wrong, that is why I was curious to which cable went where.

the cable that comes frmo the fuse box goes to the + side.

The black cable that comes from the metal radiator support, goes to - side.

WOW.

If a problem occurs (such as billowing smoke) directly after you just put a new ppart in (your case battery) then 99% of the time, its the new part/installation that is at fault.

Thanks, and I agree with your assessment. I will give it a try and hopefully I didn't really mess up something

ok, I reversed and I know have no power too nothing where I had power before...I am confused??? Any ideas???

Dont jsut reverse it! Check to see you have + to + and - to -
I suggest you have it towed and fixed.

Back