Smoked Tail Light Tint | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smoked Tail Light Tint

I decided to make my own smoked tail light tint. It is static-cling window film in 20% limo black from Wal-Mart, or i have seen it other places also. Then cut to fit. The tint is a thin static cling vinyl unlike real tint, so you can use and reuse them as many times as you want. The tint comes in a roll. It cost me $10.19, and hour of my time.

38688zz111.jpg

I made the templates by cutting a hole in a sheet of paper, taping it to the light and tracing the shape to the paper. Then I cut the shape and transferred it to the tinting.

38688zz10.jpg

This is a pic of the cut outs and the stock tail light. Make sure it is clean..

38688zz1.jpg

The tint is the vinyl, static type, but you still apply it like the regular window tint. You can use baby shampoo and bottled water to help you apply it. This is with the first one on the top..

38688zz2.jpg

This is it all done !

38688zz3.jpg

After several high pressure car washes, and high speed driving, mine is still sticking. Once the moisture is gone, they are not coming off until YOU take it off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Rust-oleum lens tint works very well. it comes out with a very glossy finish, no need for clearcoat. Only 12 bucks at autozone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

currently unhappy with my blacked out taillights. I used VHT Nightshades which was an awesom epatin and easy proces. However the finish is sort of matte. it is dull. while it looks pretty B/A in its own right it is not the look I am going for. Prepwork included washing and rubbing them down and rinsing with water (nothin major) then i painted them in relatively humid weather doing about 8 coats. they look great but i want them to shine. i woudl like a glassier/glossier look. I used a clear wheel coating on the 3rd brakelight and was unhappy with it. Does anybody have a clear coat they suggest or know will work for what i want. (or any other processes?. i.e. wetsand/buff/polish and what products?)

read as much of the thread as i could before i had to run to work sorry if someone posted this ?

-thanks

Wet sand with 1000-2000 grit paper, then another light coat of VHT, then clearcoat it.

thanks. but what clear coat? i tried the one i have and was unhappy. also used a cheapo acrylic clear. what clear will work right for this?

Lamin-x works awsome and 100% removable if you dont like it or want to change how dark it is.

Back