• Register Today It's free!

Smoking Heating Vents

rammerd

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer 4x4
I was driving around this moring, and when I turned the heater on, and it got warmed up smoke started blowing out of the vents. I checked the engine and didnt see anything wrong, (lose hoses, melting plastic, etc.). I thought it might be something lodged in the heater intake and was burning. If anyone has any suggestions please help. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's burnt coolant. Sounds to me like your heater core is shot and I suggest replacing it ASAP and DO NOT use the heater. The fumes from the coolant can make you sick and possibly kill you. The heater core is about $50 at any auto-parts store and it'll take a few hours to put it in. If you plan on doing this yourself (it's not too hard) I suggest you consult a Haynes manual so you don't go ripping apart dash plastic. Hope this helps!

-Justin

PS - The core is behind the glove box.

the fumes can kill u????..that would have been nice to know a few weeks ago lol

Originally posted by JMT1SOMR
It's burnt coolant. Sounds to me like your heater core is shot and I suggest replacing it ASAP and DO NOT use the heater. The fumes from the coolant can make you sick and possibly kill you. The heater core is about $50 at any auto-parts store and it'll take a few hours to put it in. If you plan on doing this yourself (it's not too hard) I suggest you consult a Haynes manual so you don't go ripping apart dash plastic. Hope this helps!

-Justin

PS - The core is behind the glove box.

The heater core is $20, and takes about 15-20 mins to replace.

Well la-tee-da... the heater core for my F150 was about $45 and it took about 1 1/2hrs to get that beehatch in. I figured it be about the same.

I was also shocked to nkow that the fumes would kill you. I had been driving around like that fo rmonths just whiffing it in. I actually began to kind of like the smell.

-Justin

Originally posted by JMT1SOMR
Well la-tee-da... the heater core for my F150 was about $45 and it took about 1 1/2hrs to get that beehatch in. I figured it be about the same.

Jeezus man, bring it down a notch. Was just giving the guy a better estimate on replacement, as i recently replaced mine.

Also, ive never heard of antifreeze vapors killing anyone. Mine just made me crave pancakes. :)

Well, when tyou post a quote of someone else, it usually mean your comments are directed at them. I wasn't pissed off or anything, just a little drunk.:D

-Justin

Back