Smoking oil fill tube?

bates

Shine on Benevolent Sun
Reaction score
City, State
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4dr
Well I couldn't figure out where my oil problem was but now i know. My K&N cone filter was sucking in oil fumes by the looks of it and the engine has been burning them, my air duct tube was coated on the inside with it.

Anyways I noticed after I changed my thermostat tonight that the oil fill tube was smoking like a chimney, through the cap. Any thougths on what causes this? I'm hoping its something cheap, because the thermostat and this are just the beginnings of my problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I changed the pcv valve and it didn't seem to help.

Bates, had a similar problem with our high performance ATV's and getting too much K&N Filter oil on the filter. K&N oil is really light and if you get too much on any of their filters it will get sucked into the intake and possibly create the problem you are experiencing. This happended with our two stroke quads, and you would not think it would affect them that way but it really messed up how they ran. A friend of mine was just certain he seized his top end/ring until we saw all the oil in the carb/intake. Cleaned, dried and re-oiled filter (much lighter this time) and bike ran superb.

Maybe this will help, as I have heard to be careful getting too much filter oil on my K&N on my 2000 powerstroke diesel fir the same reason.
martinfam5.

The filter is running as it came from the factory as I havent had it long enough to need to clean it.

sounds to me like you have a bad blow by problem how many miles do you have on the engine?

276k kms. It's now in the hands of a more experienced mechanic than I.

I have to agree with blow-by... unfortunately.

im going to say cracked head or head gasket

Yeah, I agree with the Blow-By.-- sorry

let us know what it turns out to be please

blown piston.

well Now we know that it was Blow_by and what was causing it. What is it going to cost you to have it fixed and are they going to replace or rebuild the engine?

I don't know, I'll probably fix it but if I do I'm gonna get rid of the truck. Tt's worth jacksh!t if I don't fix it, so I might as well try and make some money off it.

Then I'm thinkin mustang....

O and to answer the other question, A used motor is gonna cost me probably around 600 bucks. I found out of a low mile (30-40k kms) 95 aerostar for 750 I might get if he'll go cheaper. And my mechanic (whos doin this on the side) will likely charge me 5-600 bucks. All this is CDN dollars.

You having a similar prob?

Back