sn0border88's SAS Thread | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sn0border88's SAS Thread

WARNING: This swap will be longer than bmxking's :eek:

Thanks to tig for a real steal that I couldnt pass up ($50), it all started with a d44 from a 73' Bronco. This means its drum braked, coil sprung with LP housing complete hub to hub with r/a's.

But, its matching width. :D

Its in great shape as far as EB axles are concerned. It has 3.50's which upon inspection are in PERFECT condition. Not one chip on any of the ring gear teeth. Also the rust isnt too bad, its simply surface rust, nothing damaging. Also most of the bolts so far are coming off very well, only breaking a few. Not bad for 31 years of rust.

So far in the plans are yukon 4.88's with full spool or lincon locker. Disk brake conversion VIA junkyard or broncograveyard, rear XJ 8" lift leafs and heimjointed crossover. To complete the swap ill be getting new cromo shafts front and rear with a new 5on5.5 bolt pattern for the 8.8 and 4.88's with a detriot. Also rounding it out are some new rubbers, either 35" boggers or MT/R's on 5on5.5 steelies/beadlocked pending on the DD status upon completion of the project. And, if it is no longer a DD when I finish, the top is coming off. :eek: :thumbsup:

EDIT with final prices

Upon completion it now had a Fullwidth d44/9" with 36" TSL-SX, 5.13 gears spooled rear and many other goodies.

Prices:
Gears D44/9" 5.13: $150 from PBB
D44 Master Install: $109.99 from PORC on pirate
9" Master Install: $89.99 from PORC on pirate
D44 Carrier: $60 Ebay
9" Spool: $129.99 from PORC on pirate
1976 f-150 Highpinion Drum Brake D44 : $85 from Junkyard
D44 Disk Brake Outers: $50 from Junkyard
1978 F-150 9": $50 from Junkyard
5 on 5.5 Rims: $20 from Junkyard
4 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX: $ 250 from Pragon Board
1 36x12.5x15 TSL Radial: $18 from Junkyard
Shocks: $100 from Jeff Daniels Jeeps
D44 Spring Perch: $20 Jeff Daniels Jeeps
U-Bolts (Custom) : $30 from local u-bolt shop
Brake Pads/Caliper: $31.77 National Auto
Leaf Spring Hardware: $48 Jeff Daniels Jeeps
Replacement A4LD: $65 Junkyard
Conversion U-Joint: $25 National Auto
Extend Brakelines: $73 from local brakeline shop
Steel: $56

Without what I paid those who helped, plus the gear installs I have about 1,500 into this.

Scrapping the TTB: PRICELESS

Attachments

• DSC06381.JPG
    DSC06381.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,843
  • DSC06382.JPG
    DSC06382.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,850
  • DSC06383.JPG
    DSC06383.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 2,833
  • DSC06384.JPG
    DSC06384.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,830

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yo make a pattern for that ring? Feel like making me one???

I can, I have the bent piece memorized. It probably wont be until after the may run because im swamped doing my own work for now.

All I did for the ring was snag a spare pinion support from the yard then I cut a piece of 7x7 plate and plamsa cut a 4" hole in it. Then I tacked the plate to the support and center punched the holes.

Break off the tacks and punched out the holes, welded skid to it and ground down the corners to make it look roundish.

The bent piece was 6x12 1/4" tread plate with a 54* bend in the middle and 60* bends at 3 3/8 off center.

I fawking hate mounting beadlocks.

That is all.

yea it sux. especialy when you use machanical lock nuts.

teaser pic

Attachments

• 04-23-08_1646.jpg
    04-23-08_1646.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 419

Nicely done micah. I have the BL rings, but still don't have wheels I wanna put them on. I may need 8 lug rims if I keep breaking my D44 ;)

Did those tires come grooved already? I'm thinking about buying a groover so I can do mine.

Nicely done micah. I have the BL rings, but still don't have wheels I wanna put them on. I may need 8 lug rims if I keep breaking my D44 ;)

Did those tires come grooved already? I'm thinking about buying a groover so I can do mine.

No no no, this is what you should do. If you keep on breaking shafts then we will trade x-cases and you can put the beadlocks on whatever wheels you want. problem solved.

Yes, the prev owner grooved them.

What bl's did you get?

hmmm, I'll stick with the stacked cases, but thanks for the idea. I think I'd rather move onto the 60's than give up my sweet low low range.

My BL rings are from A to Z fab, but they look just like the ruff stuff rings. I think they may be from Dan.

My tires won't get grooved for this run, but should be done by the June run.

Now quit teasing us with pics and post your progress already!

Beadlocks 101:

PICT2718.jpg

First it to remove the old valve stem if it is in the way (as mine were)

Cut it off and clean surrounding area free of paint and grease.

PICT2719.jpg

Clamp a piece of copper or aluminum behind it and weld it solid.

PICT2720.jpg

Welded

PICT2721.jpg

Backside.

PICT2725.jpg

Redrill a hole for a new valve stem in desired location. My new stems were ones that use a nut to clamp tight.

Next post.

PICT2723.jpg

Clean off all paint and rust from area to be welded, drop in ring and center using spacers to make sure it stays right. Washers work well.

PICT2726.jpg

Tack in 4 spots making sure to press it down after the first tack so it does not pull up. Then make some longer welds inbetween those.

PICT2727.jpg

Weld it, move fast and make sure to go over all stops to help prevent leaks.

PICT2734.jpg

Grind flatish to give a better clamping surface.

PICT2735.jpg

Put it on the rim and center it over the ring. Install upper ring. This is the time consuming part, start 4 bolts in an x and run them down tight. Then put the rest in and snug them up as well. Then get friendly with your torque wrench and keep going around untill you reach the desired specs. I went to 25 ft/lbs and would like to go more but my rings are coning alot.

Install and look like a trail pimp.

PICT2736.jpg

9" Pinion Armor.

PICT2737.jpg

PICT2739.jpg

PICT2740.jpg

If/when I make another one I want to add a lip up front so its not down so low and help slide over boulders better.

Jake, mind if I make yours a frankenstien prototype of some ideas I have?

Jake, mind if I make yours a frankenstien prototype of some ideas I have?

Sure, I'll play that game.

The locks look awesome, I can't wait to get some better wheels so I can do mine. Maybe I'll fit it in by Carlisle.

Lookin' rather smexy there, Micah! :thumbsup: Fawk, between you and Jake I doubt I'll be able to keep up on some obstacles lol :p:

Lookin' rather smexy there, Micah! :thumbsup: Fawk, between you and Jake I doubt I'll be able to keep up on some obstacles lol :p:

That may be true on a good day. But, both of us have been known to get pretty darn broken...

That may be true on a good day. But, both of us have been known to get pretty darn broken...

Much to the amusement of the rest of us :D J/K. I have a good feeling about this run... I think you two are both gonna kick @$$ :)

Update, no pics caus most of you will see it saturday

Beadlocks are done!
New pass door is installed and painted (in a hurry).
Wiring is fixed enough to get it moving, trans leak is fixed, hi-lift is shoddily mounted.
Axle shafts have new joints and are ready to go.
New yoke with u-bolts on the 44.

Still to go:
Histeer
Anti-Wrap
Breather for 44
New ends on brakelines

And I have about 12 hours to do it in and get packed/loaded for RC :(

Alright, now I just have to bleed my brakes and im ready to go.

For those who may be thinking about histeer, DO IT. I have always had horrible steering since my SAS (and well before that) I would honestly say this truck now steers easier/tighter than my 99

Can't wait to see the changes you've made on Saturday.

Im not sure if this is covered in your thread but what is the backspacing on your rims?

I like the beadlocks. Hopefully i can go to them soon. Very nice job sir. Now i know how to do that

Back