Snapped passenger side upper control arm bolt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snapped passenger side upper control arm bolt

daizex

Reaction score
Car: 96 ford explorer v6

While taking of my passenger upper control arm I took off the 2 main bolts and noticed one on the right side facing the front that I thought I needed to take off too. I didn't realize that i didn't need to remove it that it could stay because the arm just slides around the bolt. Well while removing it the head of the bolt snaps off... I'm not even sure how it happened it happend very quick.

I managed to replace the control arm and everything but the head of that bolt is gone. I assume it's there in the first place to prevent the 2 bolts from moving. Is there a way I can remove this bolt and replace it with another one? If so does anyone what this type of bolt is called? Or could I weld the head back on to the bolt?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you have anything to heat it with, then back it out with a pair of vise grips?

I could try and heat it up but it's quite a bit of thread I'd have to reverse before I could get it out. I'm just not sure if it would be better to just try and weld the head back on

I did the same thing, just left it like that, I inspect it every month or so...two years later no effect at all

Does the head missing effect getting an alignment done in the future? I ask because my alignment before was messed up and after I changed out the control arm and lower ball joint that I have to hold my steering wheel to the 2 o'clock position to drive straight so I'm guessing I'll have to get an alignment done very soon.

Does the head missing effect getting an alignment done in the future? I ask because my alignment before was messed up and after I changed out the control arm and lower ball joint that I have to hold my steering wheel to the 2 o'clock position to drive straight so I'm guessing I'll have to get an alignment done very soon.

I would say doing the job itself effects the alignment, not the bolt head missing. I did have my alignment done right after I did the job, which also included me replacing the steering rack and tie rod ends...a battle! The alignment apparently stayed true as the bolt position remained stable seemingly because of the other bolts securing it. I get no steering pull at all.

Would anyone know what that bolt is called in case I have to get another one, and would anyone know where to get one? I know I could leave it but I'm worried that I'll need to get an alignment done and they'll have to adjust that bolt.

Mine was never touched during the alignment. If you put the edge out flush to where the head of the bolt was it should still be where it was set before. I'm really not sure why it's even there. If you go to a ford dealer they can get you a new one.

Back