SNJ's Rig (full build progress thread) | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SNJ's Rig (full build progress thread)

Well aside form the fact that everything on the console side of the conector is wired in black that wasnt anywhere near as bad as people say it is. took a lil over 4 hours to get everything run and all zip tied up pretty like, but i got everything in properly. i did skip on the dimmer though as i never dim the lights from full bright anyway.

console3.jpg

was one hell of a tangle of wires comin through that hole though

concole2.jpg

oh and that stuff stickin out from the corners is ductape. this area of the headliner was already in bad shape and i dint help it much, so i trimed the hole out in it.

need somethin to play with for the next few weeks though, still have a month of class to kill... hmm....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah nice work there SuRrEaLNJ -- now you know which direction you're going :D

Yeah nice work there SuRrEaLNJ -- now you know which direction you're going :D

HAHAHAHA! (probably still won't help him stay out of cornfields though) :D Looks good, Jay. So is the temp sensor built into the unit or is it external? I never figured that part out...

now i have 2 compasses in the damn thing and i still dont know where the hell i am... ever

So is the temp sensor built into the unit or is it external? I never figured that part out...

temp sensor is external, the concole holds the computer and everything in it, but a 2 wire sensor needs to be run outside the vehicle, in my case to just outbord of the inside of the grill on the left hand side.

tirecarrier.jpg

i love playing with things people say i shouldnt...
scored this off or craigslist for 20 bucks, from a FSB
needs a bit of work, but imma make it fit and reinforce the corner enough to do it right
just need a free weekend now

atleast i finally got a decent 31 spare in time for the pines run... 3 of em actually...

Great score!

alright, for starters for thosw who werent aware already, i am highly flamable
imflamable.jpg

that was compliments of a 4" angle grinder.... and it wasnt just a singe, it was full on fire heh...oops....

It took a bit of bending, and cutting and welding but i finally got this thing so that itll sit about where i want it to. Didnt have enough time to finish it up today, but most of the hard stuff is done

IMG_3392.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

oh and did i mention SNJ can weld? :D
IMG_3390.jpg

Turned out great NJ -- fits the paint scheme ;)

thats awesome ... great idea! Looks great!.. is it pretty sturdy?

Heh, thx iz

thats awesome ... great idea! Looks great!.. is it pretty sturdy?

actually it is, i had myself and a buddy of mine hanging off of it both open and closed last night with the tire on it, and there was a minimal amount of deflection. Between the 2 of us weve got to be breaking the 400 pound mark. All of the brackets have sandwich plates on the inside of the sheet metal, wich definitely helps. I was a little woried all through out the build process because of how manu people have said its too much weight for the truck, but it seems to be takin it like a champ

theres atleast eaqual size or larger mounts on the inside as well. unfortuneately the top one was a litle tricky to get a plate in as the d pillar is in the way, so it has one mount infront of the pillar and one inside the pillar.

the top mount has almost no deflection, and the bottom just has a hinto of it from the lower pivot binding just a touch.
the tail gate latch deflects a little as the carier goes in and out of its grove, but dosnt once its latched in, so i think its gonna be ok

whos got as puddle of coolant on the pasenger side floor... its me.... its me....

never posted that i blew the inlet line to it on the way to work a few weeks back, but i did, so i changed both hoses to the core, and seem to have cracked one of the nipples on it... oops

its back burnered for a few weeks though... got some work to do to the focus though, so ill bypass it for the time being....

Don't feel bad.. Morgan's been marking his territory in green for quite some time now ;) Whatcha doin to the Fungus?

i dun feel bad at all, im just glad that after it smelin like coolant for the last few weeks the leak finally reared its head

oh i got plans for the fungus... but youll have to wait and watch that thread to see :D

pulled the core today... that was so ridiculously easy that its not even worth talking about....

for now its bypassed and a new one will be on its way thanks to Kbabiak

hmm.. realized i never updated this..

i seem to have cut the number of leaks back down to one... the front diff... wich is gonna stay that way for a while. really dont want to pull the front beam without a better reason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well since this was really the first trip where the truck really got to flex its stuff i have to say im quite pleased with her. for the little runt with 31s she held her own and kept up for the most part. needed a couple of spots where id get hung up in holes and whatnot, and a tug once after i got high centered, wich i promptly did again and then just got pushed over the hill.

Bent the radius arm crossmember, but it must not be all that bad because it drove just as good on the way home as it did on the way out.
Net time i bend somethin i gotta make sure its somethin that gets rid of that drift to the right that its had since day one :D

oh, and I need a locker... bad... but i knew that already...

DSCN2541Small.jpg

Back