SNJ's Rig (full build progress thread) | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SNJ's Rig (full build progress thread)

Lookin' sexay :cool: Maybe you can influence the lazy Asian to do some work on "his" rig (you know the one... the one that no one's ever actually SEEN) :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im convinced he dosnt even have junk to work on

speaking of didnt IZ and doug try to get me to go in on a bet to have our rigs done by august last year?

I fully understand if IZ doesn't have his done since it's such an engineering project, but Doug has absolutely no excuse :p:

Lookin' sexay :cool: Maybe you can influence the lazy Asian to do some work on "his" rig (you know the one... the one that no one's ever actually SEEN) :D

I actually have been doing work on it.. Going to replace the hard line in the frame rail tomorrow if it warms up enough.

well when i said i clearanced the axleshafts for snap rings aparently i clearanced them enough for the snap ring but not the act of geting the snap ring on.... so it was back at it with the grinder

joint.jpg

Steering linkages are in. wich caused a major panick for a little bit as the little drawing in the superunner instructions is aparently wrong and shows the TREs in upsidedown. i blinked and stared for a good while at the knuckles at that one

steering.jpg

also swaped out the warior shackles for a set of stockers. it now seems to be sitting in what will turn out to be a much more level stance

I remember that wrong drawing too. scared me at first also.

at least im not the only one...

I'm in 08330, I'm not too sure how far away ya are from me. I know there are plenty of explorerforums people around the tri-state area...but trying to round them all up for a offroad trip is like herding cats.

I'm liking the build too. :thumbsup: Maybe someday you can come out and I'll get to see another X on the trails with me!

I'm in 08330, I'm not too sure how far away ya are from me. I know there are plenty of explorerforums people around the tri-state area...but trying to round them all up for a offroad trip is like herding cats.

I'm liking the build too. :thumbsup: Maybe someday you can come out and I'll get to see another X on the trails with me!

Come out to Carlisle & Rausch Creek in June.. you'll see PLENTY of other Explorers, lol.

Sorry to derail your thread, SNJ!

Do you guys stay over, like camp there at rousch creek for the weekend? Because a few of my friends with trucks were planning a run like that this summer. And with my SAS done, I'll be down :)

im on page 15, im pretty sure this thread dosnt have rails.
ive treated it like a bs log of the life of the truck, so no apologies necessary
hell ive even been told no one reads this because i talk to much in here

everyone come to carliel, its the only way you get all the eastcoast web wheelers (myself included) out anymore

havent gotten anything done since i made the front shafts up. took a vaca to denver for a few days 2 weeks ago wich was way more fun then sitin in my garage, so that's where she stands

i have the solid diffcover coming since rock crusher ####ed me. c-clip eliminator spring i ordered came in, so the shafts can go in. i now need a good day to trow the rest of the front together. hopin to steal a few hours this weekend, but its a work weekend for me so well see. driveshafts are at work so one of these nights ill rebuild them there.

one thing ive stressed during this whole thing is i do this **** for 50-60+ hours a week as it is, so my toy gets taken at my leisure. focus needed some routine stuffs done this week so that got priority.

im over the hump now that its on its own weight, so timeframe dont look to bad.

the todo list also contains sliders and a new tire carier, but thats not gonna happen till after carlisle anyway. those might be fall projects. my tire cariers *****in but i dont see it holding up a 35.

oh and also because i know its coming (someone already questioned em to me) yes i know i dont have "good" u joints up front. prety much all wear parts that have been purchased in the last year are napa stuff. im a npa care center, so its handy. if/when **** brakes those areas will be handled as needed

while im also in a talking mood and somewhat on the topic im not building a super sick mad pimp rock crawler here. its an all purpose woods truck for knockin around in. ill push her in my own way as i always have but doin the uber hard **** constantly isnt where im at. im more of a take a long drive, wheel and drive home kind of guy. hence the ttb, gearing, open front and alot of the other choices ive made on this new incarnation. munk ver 1.0 (2" lift w/31s for those of u not paying attn) was built with cost as the primary concern concern 2.0 is built to put me in the poor house but be fun. ironically enough i had intended for 1.0 to last a lot longer then it did, but the erm... water damage kinda changed the direction of the truck.

i live in 07747 been looking at your progress holy **** man~~

You're doing pretty well there, Munknugget. You should be done in plenty of time despite having to work so much :)

Sudden Death, Friday night we stay at the Hotel in Carlisle with the rest of the show goers, then Saturday after the show we trek to Pine Grove's Comfort Inn so we don't have to get up at 6am to go wheeling the next day. Camping is always an option, but we're usually sunburnt and the weather hardly ever cooperates.

Ill be in Carlisle this june! I will also finally be back in good ole' Bucks county for good at the end of febuary. I plan on seeing everyone for a Rausch run just dont know about the membership.

Also Surreal i never knew you were a part of the SNJ webpage. I used to go all over the place in highschool to find places llike that in Jersey and PA. Its ashame they finally knocked down the old Byberry mental ward.

Jon

Part of? I am the SNJ webpage.
well one half of it anyway, theres only 2 of us. although shes more usefull then me ant stuff so i dont know what percentage that makes me....
admittedly we havent done all that much in a while. other things kinda came along.

anyways....

maby its just the fact ive been working on full size trucks so much lately but these rotors are mighty tiny, and the bearings are like uber close together. seriously what the hell were they thinking?

Got the c-clip eliminator done, the front shafts in, spindkles, manual hub conversion and front brakes on tonight.

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

took me awhile to find where i had aparently the bearings and what not, and then a bit to fully understand what stayed and what left for the hub conversion. once i got it i felt stupid for over thinking things.

oh, and spaner sockets are over rated, oil filter pliers FTW!
the way i see it all my certifications say i dont need to use the right tool for the job...

and yes, i have olive drab calipers to match my olive drab drums, because im just that awsome

ok so ive always been curious...
whats the advantage of a C-clip eliminator?
whats wrong with just having a C-clip?

*sigh* i promised myself that i wouldnt get into the c-clip thing here, as theres tons of info across the web on it.
long story short with the c-clip you have to rip the entire suspension apart and remove the diff to get to the c-clip so you get the pasenger stub shaft out. with the eliminator once the pass side spindles off you can just pull the shaft out. way less headache incase the u joints grenade, etc

back at it again tonight.

got the front brake lines all hooked up. some nice extended braided steel action going on up there.

also got the rear braided line in, and bent up new hardlines for the axle

IMG_1072.jpg

theyre kinda funky, but they work. i hate flaring, so i bought a couple pieces of pre done lines, hence the little loopies on the side of the diff to take up the extra length

also got the parking brake cables back in. that was a feat as i A) coulnt remember where any of the hardware was, and B) had absolutely no recollection of how they went. i kinda wung it, and im pretty sure that thats not the way the d/s was routed, but then again with the soa it wont reach where it was, or atleast where i think it was. meh, they work, so whatever

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you'll be done by the end of tomorrow :)

Back